need help on a new build

stiles1

Baseband Member
hi i am new to building a new pc, i have come up with a gaming build around my $1000 budget i am giving myself from looking on other forums and this one, but i really don't know if it is compatable at all or is there is something better or cheaper. so any comments would help. anyways this is the pc i am looking at building.

pc case: ANTEC - CHAS ATX TWR 3 5.25-6 3.5 4 FANS

hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB

cd-rom drive: DDU1615/B2s

processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz

processor cooling fan: Zalman 9700

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R

memory modules: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB

power supply: OCZ600GXSSLI

video card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

Looks good to me at a short glance. I personally would get a Western Digital HDD, Corsair RAM, and an EVGA mobo (what I got), but if you have read good reviews on these brands it should be fine.

Be careful with the Zalman. The fins are really sharp even though they don't really look or seem to be. Sliced myself several times with my Zalman 9500...and I was trying not to.

Haha same here but with the 9700. Its easy enough to fit, but while cleaning out wires and that, I did cut myself a few times. One was rather deep too, ouch.

Looks like a pretty good build.

The motherboard supports both DDR2 and DDR3 for the future, plus 45nm CPU's, and 1333mhz FSB's

Don;t know too much about it other than that mind, but it seems like a pretty good one. A lot of manufacturers are having problems with the memory controllers on ones that support both though, but later BIOS revisioins have fixed most of them.

well after a few helpful comments from you guys and from some other people helping me, this is the build i am going with so far.

pc case ANTEC - CHAS ATX TWR 3 5.25-6 3.5 4 FANS

hard drive Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JB 40GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100

Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB

cd-rom drive LG Electronics Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R

processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz

processor cooling fan Zalman 9700

motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

memory modules Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

power supply OCZ600GXSSLI

video card EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

even though the ocz is more than likely going to cut me i think i'm willing to deal with it if it works good. i was told to look at the scyth ninja instead but that one looks like installation is a pain in the ...... if you know any differently let me know.

right now i am reaching my limit of what i want to spend including the leeway i gave myself but i was prepared for that.

if there are any other suggestions please let me know. i am looking at ordering everything about half way through next week sometime so i wanna perfect everything

i caught that the one hard drive isn't compatable but the vid card says compatable with Windows XP/MCE does that mean not compatable with vista. even thought it is haven problems now i have hopes that in the future they will disapear with the udates and was planning on getting it

Ah one was IDE you mean? Sorry about that, though, IDE drives can still run on new computers :) Its just not advisable these days.
My DVD drive is running in IDE though, since I forgot to get a SATA one!

The 8800GTS 640MB is fine for Vista, don't worry.

Motherboard:

Well yeah, thats alright... but if you were going to avoid DDR3 in the first place, there are better boards out there now.
For instance, the Abit IP-35 Pro is amazing.

There is also the new X38 motherboards that may just be up your street

so don't switch the mobo to what that guy is telling me. and thank god that vid card is compatable, i am really starting to like it the more i research it

Yeah the 8800 640MB is a good card :) It'll pretty much run everything at high settings thats out now.

Hmm... well the board you are getting is a P-35 chipset which is almost identical to the one your friend was suggesting, so yeah, keep the one you said originally.

Back
Top Bottom