Baseband Member
Ok, first of all, here are the specs:

Q6600 CPU
8800GTS 640 MB GPU
Abit IP35 Pro Mobo
OCZ ddr2 2 gig ram
Corsair 620 watt PSU
Western Digital Raptor HD

Now, I have tried taking out the GPU, CPU, and RAM and reinstalled/reset them all. I tried resetting the CMOS. I disconnected my HD and CD drive and tried to boot witht hose disconnected and nothing. I disconnected and reconnected all of the power connections.

The Symptoms: When I boot I get single long beeps coming from the case speaker. My monitor doesn't come out of stand by mode, and obviously I get no posting or any kind of display at all. The POST code detector on the mobo stopS on "C1", which I belive is something to do with the RAM and/or the GPU.

Any ideas on what the problem might be or ways of narrowing it down? I really don't have any other computers that will accept the RAM or GPU so that I can test them. My first and second build went smoothly. This one, not soo much :mad:

You have connected the extra power supply to the video card right from the power supply?

You have connected the extra 12v 8 pin motherboard connector from the power supply to the motherboard?

You have connected the extra power supply to the video card right from the power supply?

You have connected the extra 12v 8 pin motherboard connector from the power supply to the motherboard?

Yes.

well... what does a C1 error code mean?

In the Abit manual, it says "C1- Detect memory". I think I read somewhere that when it stops on C1, it is a problem with the RAM and/or GPU.

Really the only thing I can think of is go buy a cheap PCIE GPU and some new RAM and try them one at a time to see if it helps anything.

Is your RAM 2x 1GB?

If so, take one out, try it. If that works, you have found your faulty module.

Also, try using Dimms 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4 for the RAM, for example.

In the Abit manual, it says "C1- Detect memory". I think I read somewhere that when it stops on C1, it is a problem with the RAM and/or GPU.

Really the only thing I can think of is go buy a cheap PCIE GPU and some new RAM and try them one at a time to see if it helps anything.

Well if its a detect memory error you most likely have a bad stick or bad dimm. What i'd do is use one stick of memory and try each slot. If it fails in all four slots try the other stick in all four slots.

If one works but the other does not that means that stick is bad. Now if one stick does boot but doesn't boot in all slots that means you have bad dimm slots. Confirm this by sticking the other stick in the working dimms and see if it boots. Unless of course you already tried that stick in each slots and determined its a bad stick.

Make sure you have the ram firmly pressed with the latchs fully closed on the slots.

Yeah I had a bad DIMM on a computer I recently built. But yeah other than that the only other mistake I would have made would be connecting power to GPU and 2nd plug to motherboard. But go with testing just 1 stick of RAM and see if it posts.

Ok, So I tried one my sticks of RAM in all 4 slots and nothing. I took the other stick, put it in the first slot, and she fired right up. So it looks like I have a bad stick of RAM.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm glad it was only something minor.

Back
Top Bottom