artic silver 5

tehczar

In Runtime
hi, i have to re-set my HSF, I have AS5, can anyone point me to a good guide or video.

I've heard to put a small dab in the middle then put on the HSF.

I've heard put some on the HSF rub it with a ziplock bag until its all smooth and almost transparent. Then do the same with the CPU only use a credit card or something straight.

Thanks.

I have a C2D if that matters

drop the cpu on it, personally I'm not adverse to

a/ twisting the heatsink
b/ spreading with (take your pick) finger in plastic bag, cc etc (skin oils can reduce effectiveness so it is not a good idea to use bare skin)

From experience I have found that applying TIM to both the cpu and heatsink and testing both on a sheet of glass (window) to see how uniform the coverage is is a good idea, it will show up high points if they are excessive and give you an idea of how flat your IHS/heatsink are, you then get to decide if lapping is an option

With both my Quad core installations, I used the instructions stated in the manual:

I just drew a line with it that wasn't too thick or too thin down the middle between the two cores, or 1 in your case, and placed the heatsink on top spreading it.

Not really happy with the Tuniq Towers actual core temps on my brothers build though, but the chip itself is cooler :s

i would put a small line of it down the middle then put the heatsink on it which will spread it out for you.

drop the cpu on it, personally I'm not adverse to

a/ twisting the heatsink
b/ spreading with (take your pick) finger in plastic bag, cc etc (skin oils can reduce effectiveness so it is not a good idea to use bare skin)

From experience I have found that applying TIM to both the cpu and heatsink and testing both on a sheet of glass (window) to see how uniform the coverage is is a good idea, it will show up high points if they are excessive and give you an idea of how flat your IHS/heatsink are, you then get to decide if lapping is an option

Thats the same way I do it. I use a coffee filter and cue tips to clean off the old thermal paste with 70% rubbing alcohol then use apply a line down the center with AC5 and then take the plastic bag and smooth it around the cpu.

I prefer that method because it gives you the best control of your finger but won't put fingerprints in the thermal paste.

i use a CC [my license actually] to get a nice even coat. ive done both methods on my X2 and got 3C lower temps at idle using the line+cc method, over the plastic bag with finger tip method. but then again the line + cc method is more diffuclt to get perfect

Back
Top Bottom