All Good?

xXSN1P3RXx

Baseband Member
Hey :)

I have compiled a list of the hardware i want to purchase for my next computer and would greatly appreciate any input and or advice..

GPU:...................................EVGA 8800GTX
CPU:...................................Q6600 Quad Core
PSU:...................................Cooler Master Extreme power 650Watt
Mobo:.................................Asus Striker Extreme
RAM:...................................4 Gb corsair XMS2 800Mhz
Monitor:...............................Samsung 226BW 22" widescreen
HDD:...................................500 Gb (16mb) Western Digiatal 7,200rpm

I am not 100% sure about the power supply but im on a budget of around $2500-$2800 (Australian Dollers) the place i am buying it is called ITESTATE.. i also need to find a good keyboard and mouse set.. not sure wether to go wireless or wired..and also need a good dvd burner drive thats fast and reliable :)

thank you all for any help! :)

P.S. this computer will be used mostly for gaming,media and internet browsing..

**UPDATE**

i have decided to go with the wired Logitech G-15 Keyboard and the Razer Diamondback mouse :)

i would have 2 hdd, one for windows and the other for all ya media

y thas a wast of space?
just partion it
one for windows one for media
also for mother bored i really highly recommend the nvidia 680i a1 version

I have the Asus Striker Extreme for my brothers build, and from what I've read, I don't expect to be able to overclock it much...

May not be the best motherboard if you are going to do so.

As for the hard drives, 500GB is a good size as its pretty much as cheap as a 320GB drive now in a lot of places.
Samsung spinpoint 500gb T166's are amazing drives from what I've read for the money, and I have a pair myself. Fast, reliable, and quiet :)

i dont think ill need to overclock for some time..well atleast i hope i dont have to :p i was told by someone else it was good for overclocking.. however personaly i wouldnt have a clue! all i know about it is its a bit expenssive and apparently one of the better ones u can buy and thats why i went for it.. maybe u could check out IT Estate and see if theres somthing more appropriate i could replace it with :)

Well, its an amazing motherboard, no denying that, as you get a lot for the money (though it looks very expensive on that site, though I can't read AU, but compared to the others...)
hehe, I love all the lights for example, though its a shame the backlit LCD poster doesn't allow scrolling text, so if you want to put your own message, it has to be 1 word. I was hoping to have it scrolling the specs of the PC. Ah well. Either that, or it can show the time (very useful...), but its mostly there to help when it doesn't boot correctly.

As for overclocking, some overclock well, and others just...well...don't, from what I've heard. I'll soon be overclocking mine, so I'll see how it goes. If I get to 3.2GHZ like I do with this one, I'll be happy, though 3.6 is a very nice figure!

Check this one out:

http://www.itestate.com.au/products_detail.asp?code=PD00005035

Wait for more opinions first however

haha i have only really been interested in computers the last few months so overclocking i have no idea about:p all i know is it speeds up the vibrating crystal in the cpu or somthing haha i didnt even know u could OC a mobo.. maybe after 12 months of owning it i will be able to experiment a bit but at the moment im not very experienced at all so i think ill let it be :p

whats the LCD and backlight thing u were talking about?? is that on the motherboard or somthing?

Well, the motherboard I posted above has some nice reviews:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/476/1/

As for overclocking, the motherboard is what allows you to overclock :p It is the main board of your PC which is why its so important.
To overclock the CPU, you have to overclock the motherboard circuits too, as it all runs through this, which will in turn overclock the RAM, etc.

If you want any help with this at a later date, people will be here to help :)

EXTRA NOTE:

I must say though, that if you aren't looking for SLI to run 2 graphics cards at once with Nvidia, the Intel P35 boards (the one you picked outs a Nvidia 680i model) are probably the best since they overclock very well, and offer a lot.

Back
Top Bottom