Bought something off Ebay...did I do it right?

lhuser

Golden Master
There is a guy who sold 3 "dead" socket 478 mobos for 12 bucks. I have bought the item, THEN sent him an e-mail. Basically, it talks about me offering 15 bucks for a local pickup or the money order, which he accepted. I told him that I don't hve Paypal and won't have it until I get used to Ebay. Did I do the right thing or have I done something wrong? The motherboards, I DO want, but troubles, I DO NOT want.

If you can do a pick up and he accepts that, I don't see the trouble.
Paypal is the way to go for online auctions on Ebay though, as its safer than sending money by post, and you get the item shipped straight away, unlike with money payments

Paypal is always the best way imo. I used it to buy a game off of ebay about a week ago, got it in the mail today.

I think I'll open a second bank account for Paypal only. I'd preffer to keep my original intact and away from it.

Now, I'm a little nervous. When it says Pay Now, and choose Money order, I have to get him to give the address before I continue. (I'll choose Money order if he refuses to do a local pickup.) So, let's say I got his sending info and I select Money Order. Will I have to create the Money order via Ebay or will I have the option to get a Money order myself through the bank? (A 15 minute drive seems to be a pain in the butt for a money order)

I think I'll open a second bank account for Paypal only. I'd preffer to keep my original intact and away from it.

Now, I'm a little nervous. When it says Pay Now, and choose Money order, I have to get him to give the address before I continue. (I'll choose Money order if he refuses to do a local pickup.) So, let's say I got his sending info and I select Money Order. Will I have to create the Money order via Ebay or will I have the option to get a Money order myself through the bank? (A 15 minute drive seems to be a pain in the butt for a money order)

Thats the best way to do it!

Yeah thats ok what you did , paypal is just a load more easier for people cos they have the money right away and they can ship your goods , its also a lot more secure
And usualy i have found if someone is local and the item is something that is kinda heavy or difficult to post then people wont have a problem with you picking it up , however if they havent put that you can pickup in the lisiting they dont have to let you

I'll talk with my bank and probably set up a PayPal account on the account. I'll use another one, securitywise...you know...the "just in case" type of thing.

Update: I have recieved a message from him to call him at the phone number given after 5PM. As it's close, that's how we'll deal with it. Personally, I hope that he'll do local pickup. With the shipping, it goes to 22 bucks, and if he would like 22 bucks, he'll get it. The 3 motherboards can cost up to 90 bucks, at the shop...and that's with RAMBUS and AS-IS.

Paypal is probably the most secure after local pickup but I've had a problems with paypal in the past so best to keep your eyes out anyway, make sure they have good feedback etc

Yeah, but paypals safer than others, and is definietly worth going for.

Back
Top Bottom