The Letter H

one thing wrong with your 2nd choice is that you cant use the letter your trying to pronounce in the pronunciation, otherwise you dont know the beginning sound.

well no because the H on words like Home and Hair you pronounce as a Heh or hah so there is no arguement on that

If I pronounce H on its own or part of an acronym etc., I say "aitch" as in HTML. That, to me, is "aitch"-TML and "haitch"-TML just sounds wrong to me personally.

However, I say "haitch" when it is part of a word, such as "have", "hamster", "hotel". I do not say " 'ave", " 'amster" etc.

I say "Wedinsday" when pronouncing "Wednesday". Most people I have met pronounce things as I do, I have hardly heard anyone say "haitch" and it does not sound correct as far as I am concerned.

If I pronounce H on its own or part of an acronym etc., I say "aitch" as in HTML. That, to me, is "aitch"-TML and "haitch"-TML just sounds wrong to me personally.

However, I say "haitch" when it is part of a word, such as "have", "hamster", "hotel". I do not say " 'ave", " 'amster" etc.

I say "Wedinsday" when pronouncing "Wednesday". Most people I have met pronounce things as I do, I have hardly heard anyone say "haitch" and it does not sound correct as far as I am concerned.

YEA THATS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO EXPLAIN FOR THE PAST 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

hay-ch

it's only aitch if you have sloppy pronunciation, in received pronouciation, (generally accepted way of speaking proper) you pronounce H sounds, not drop them, like Have instead of 'ave

the start of the letter has a strong huh sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation

yea i dont say 'ave either. i say aitch as part of an Abbreviation, like HTML, and pronounce it with an H sound in a word like have.

hay-ch

it's only aitch if you have sloppy pronunciation, in received pronouciation, (generally accepted way of speaking proper) you pronounce H sounds, not drop them, like Have instead of 'ave

the start of the letter has a strong huh sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation
im liking this post, exactly what i was thinking. i can be quite a lazy speaker but saying "aitch" is just wrongggg lol.
+1 :)

im liking this post, exactly what i was thinking. i can be quite a lazy speaker but saying "aitch" is just wrongggg lol.
+1 :)

ok i swear, half of you don't even understand what this thread is about. the question is, how do you say H when you say the alphabet? i bet all of you say "aitch"

and in a word? everyone pronounces it hhhhhhhhh

ok i swear, half of you don't even understand what this thread is about. the question is, how do you say H when you say the alphabet? i bet all of you say "aitch"

and in a word? everyone pronounces it hhhhhhhhh

i always say haitch. even when im reading the alphabet.

Back
Top Bottom