1 TB External Hard Drive

Yea, so what's the problem? :p
Sorry but I'm not compressing my DVD's with something like Divx............

You ever play these back on a big widescreen after they were compressed? They may be okay on a small computer screen but not on a high resolution large widescreen flat panel.
No way hosay..........:eek:

thats good to know

Okay how do can i tell if it is a real 1TB HD or if it is 2 HDs in a RAID array?
will the box tell me or do i just use my simple observation skills and look at the thing?
clarification on this subject matter is greatly appreciated.

Okay how do can i tell if it is a real 1TB HD or if it is 2 HDs in a RAID array?
will the box tell me or do i just use my simple observation skills and look at the thing?
clarification on this subject matter is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if the box will tell you.......
size and weight will be immediate indications. If you can open the box and look at it.........you can tell if it is two drives or one.

Don't ask the doorknob salesman..........they probably don't even know what a TB is. :D

I went and picked one of these up :p
Tinier than my other two 250 gig WD externals, and sleeek.

It had FAT32, so I tried to format it into NTFS.. it took a solid 2 hours and close to the end, it said "windows cannot format the hard drive". So I formatted it again with NTFS, using the quick method, which was successful. I was curious about why that happened, and I went into Disk Management, and tried to do a slow format from there too, but the same thing happened, and this time it said the format was "RAW" :confused: . Then I got stubborn, and put it on slow format one more, and it went right through.

Is this cause for concern? I felt like going and exchanging it, but I want to know if this could be a potential problem in the future. I would NOT want to lose 1tb of data. I've lost enough regular internal hard drives back in the day, doing sneakernet :(

I'm not sure if the box will tell you.......
size and weight will be immediate indications. If you can open the box and look at it.........you can tell if it is two drives or one.

Don't ask the doorknob salesman..........they probably don't even know what a TB is. :D

Yeah, there is another 1tb there, don't remember the exact model, but it's white, comes in a huge box, and has two hard drives in the enclosure. You'll know by the size of the box being more than double the size of the hard drive we're talking about. And when I asked the salesperson what the difference was between the two, he just said that there's no difference, that was just an older model :rolleyes:
And when I asked him about RPM and buffer size, etc, he spent ten minutes on the computer and came back more confused than he was before.

I went and picked one of these up :p
Tinier than my other two 250 gig WD externals, and sleeek.

It had FAT32, so I tried to format it into NTFS.. it took a solid 2 hours and close to the end, it said "windows cannot format the hard drive". So I formatted it again with NTFS, using the quick method, which was successful. I was curious about why that happened, and I went into Disk Management, and tried to do a slow format from there too, but the same thing happened, and this time it said the format was "RAW" :confused: . Then I got stubborn, and put it on slow format one more, and it went right through.

Is this cause for concern? I felt like going and exchanging it, but I want to know if this could be a potential problem in the future. I would NOT want to lose 1tb of data. I've lost enough regular internal hard drives back in the day, doing sneakernet :(

Mine formatted in NTFS right away but it does take a long time for 1TB. :D
I suppose they send them out as FAT32 so it supports older OS's but it would be nice if they said this so you can reformat it if you wish. FAT32 is to dang slow.
I love my 1Tb WD...........nice unit at a great price. Can't beat WD reliability for the price.
Glad to see you got one! ;)

Back
Top Bottom