The Letter H

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Now this may sound petty and it may sound like i am starting this thread just to argue with Borat_Sagdiyev but im not i am creating this thread because i have a serious misunderstanding with the english language.

The Letter H in particular, now the discussion started on this thread

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=61494&page=2

but id like to move it on from there,

my pont of view was that H is pronounce Haitch or Heightch,

Borat's proved me wrong by pointing this article out to me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_alphabet

now if you look down there to the list of letters it says that H is pronounced Aitch or Eightch so my arguemnt is there is no need for the letter H in the alphabet !

ok you can argue that words like Home, Hug, Hat etc all use the letter H but they dont use it in the way it is ment to be pronounce Ha#Aitch.

what are you opinions on this also im gonna add a poll to how you think H should be pronounced.

despite how you yourself pronounce the letter how do you think a well spoken man (posh man) would say the letter H ?

Aitch / Eightch
or
Haitch / Heightch

I don't quite follow.

However, I usually pernouce the H.

Even in a word like exhaused, it is what helps roll your tounge to the rest of the word.

well in words that have an H in them (words, not abbreviations like HD or HTML), i pronounce the H with a H. like however. but in an abbreviation, you say how the letter is spelt, aitch tee emm ell

the letter H is pronounced AITCH. when you say the alphabet, its pronounced AITCH, am i right???

in a word, however, like HOW, you actually prounce the H not like when saying the alphabet, but just as a regular letter.

It's like how you Canadians pronounce the letter Z "zed." That doesn't mean the word zoo is pronounced zedoo, it's still zoo.

ok sorry i shuda made myself clearer i ment wen u say the letter H not within words like HTML HDTV.

now i apreciate that probably 90% of the population pronounce it Eightch but that doesnt mean its the correct way to pronounce it.

how would the queen of england pronounce H ? in HTML would it be Heightch or Eightch

Back
Top Bottom