Routers?

fishfinder

Baseband Member
I need to hook up a couple computers up to my broadband connection. Not sure how to do it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Basically you would buy yourself a router. It acts as a gateway and allows internet connection for all the computers connected to it. This is how you would connect your stuff....

Modem ---> Router ---> Other computers

By the way if you don't want to mess around with a bunch of wires you can get a wireless router. Once you got the router just buy yourself wireless network cards to put in all your PC's that you want on the network and the internet.

Good Luck :)

Any recommendations? I pretty much use my computer for online games and the other one is just used for basic internet surfing.

best stick to wired though if you are a gamer, well depends what you play and how serious you are

i use wifi for gaming all the time, G is rated @ 54mbps, so it doesnt slow you down. now if your connection is over 54mbps, i need to come live in your neighborhood lol.

any my 802.11N is WAY fastered then my 10/100 nic [300mbps]

First off i wouldnt go wireless if your gaming. But as explained before, You take your modem (cable/DSL/Fiberoptics?) and what not... you go out and buy a router. You plug the router into the modem. and from the router you plug in your computer with an ethernet cable. Theres instructions in the manual on how to set up that.. currently i have a D-link gamefuel router w/ a bunch of extra stuff you dont really need.

Wireless really isn't all that bad for gaming as long as you have a decent signal. Unless you're a really intense gamer, I wouldn't worry about it.

@ Luda - It's not only the top speed, it's the ping. Wireless adds a bit to your ping.

Back
Top Bottom