Got My x1550 FInally

ok now im going to do a 15 minute long analysis of internet speeds cuz im confused now

1. ISP's, when advertising, offer their internet in X ammount of megaBITS
2. when you are downloading a file, speed is given in kiloBYTES per second
3. so, that means when you have 5 megaBIT internet, you can download a file at a maximum speed of 640 kilobytes
4. internet is never measured in megabytes
5. when you go to a speed test like www.speedtest.net, it test in kiloBITS/second

NOW

1. rudster stated that he has 640 kiloBIT internet, and that would mean 640 kilobits = 0.625 megabits
2. muz stated that he has 1 megabit internet, which is faster than rudsters 640 kiloBIT internet because 1 megaBIT is 1000kiloBITS (in easy words)
3. so then rudster later stated that he gets 80 kiloBYTES per second, which is the equivalent of the 640 kiloBITS

am i missing something?

so why is muz complaining about his internet being slow in the first place?

1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. Sort of...you divide bits by 8 to get bytes. So it would be 635 kB/s.
4. Sometimes, usually not though.
5. Yeah, by default it tests in kilobits.

1. 640 kilobit internet would be 80 kilobytes.
2. 1 megabit internet is 125 kilobytes.
3. Yeah.

So Muz's is a little faster. But remember that is max speed, actual speed could be much different depending on the conditions.

FYI, kB or KB usually means kilobytes, kb or Kb usually means kilobits.

1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. Sort of...you divide bits by 8 to get bytes. So it would be 635 kB/s.
4. Sometimes, usually not though.
5. Yeah, by default it tests in kilobits.

1. 640 kilobit internet would be 80 kilobytes.
2. 1 megabit internet is 125 kilobytes.
3. Yeah.

So Muz's is a little faster. But remember that is max speed, actual speed could be much different depending on the conditions.

FYI, kB or KB usually means kilobytes, kb or Kb usually means kilobits.

ok i get it now. thanks.

but still: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:*&q=5+megabits+in+kilobytes

though bare in mind latency and raw speed arent directly related, like dial up's latency can be better than things like satelite internet, national wireless broadband. in games you dont really have to download that much data to communicate everything, its just that the 100 milla-seconds to get there really makes a dramatic effect.
cable\TiOS has the best latency followed(usually) by dsl.

we pay for 768Kbps but get 640Kbps because they have too many connections on our LAN, with a little bit of math we have 7 people on a LAN with a max of 6(at 768Kbps), which decreases everybodys overall speed by 128Kbps :( although i would have to say we use our connection to the max, almost every second were doing something, downloading by night and surfing by day :D

yea, as rudster said, speed isnt everything. its the latency that also matters a lot. you want at MOST 100ms ping to the server. and if you have more, you might as well just not game, as there probably will be lag :).

Eh, I'd say as long as it's under 200ms it's fine.

not the freaks who kick u for having over 50 ping...ih8 them

oh rite and my friend keeps telling me that playing bf2142 on lowest settings decreases his latency. im not sure because being on lowest settings just means that you will have btr fps rite?

Meh i wasnt complaining about only having 1mb internet i dont care , i mean it would be nice to have something faster but you cant have it all
And yeah the whole megabyte megabit thing is annoying as hell you just gotta get used to it , There are 8 bits in a byte
Anywhow so yeah any more good game ideas

Meh i wasnt complaining about only having 1mb internet i dont care , i mean it would be nice to have something faster but you cant have it all
And yeah the whole megabyte megabit thing is annoying as hell you just gotta get used to it , There are 8 bits in a byte
Anywhow so yeah any more good game ideas

battlefield 2

And would that run on my system , see first page or sig

Back
Top Bottom