Windows XP help

Elvin

Beta member
Hey last night i tried to reinstall xp on my computer. Everything was going well but after it had deleted the previous version of xp the cd popped out for no reason. So i just pushed it in again but then it started saying that it cant install it because there was no previous version of xp on that computer. When i turn it on now it says that its missing components and just tells me to restart it doesn't go to the windows screen at all. WHAT SHOULD I DO???!!?!

Hey last night i tried to reinstall xp on my computer. Everything was going well but after it had deleted the previous version of xp the cd popped out for no reason. So i just pushed it in again but then it started saying that it cant install it because there was no previous version of xp on that computer. When i turn it on now it says that its missing components and just tells me to restart it doesn't go to the windows screen at all. WHAT SHOULD I DO???!!?!

Sounds like you have the Upgrade edition of Windows XP.
This version requires an older one to validate it as an upgrade. If you have a windows 2000, 98, or ME disc lying around, try putting that in when it pops out the disc.

If you ever want to buy a Windows OS, always, repeat, ALWAYS buy it OEM or something. Upgrade baaaaad.

Sounds like you have the Upgrade edition of Windows XP.
This version requires an older one to validate it as an upgrade. If you have a windows 2000, 98, or ME disc lying around, try putting that in when it pops out the disc.
Correct, the XP install needs to verify a previous operating system, any disk apart from Win95 will work.

If you ever want to buy a Windows OS, always, repeat, ALWAYS buy it OEM or something. Upgrade baaaaad.
Upgrade disks are fine, they are better than OEM in the fact they are not tied to specific hardware as OEM's are and are transferable, I love them because they're the "bargin basement with full features" of Windows

Upgrade versions will require an older Windows install disc from Windows 98 or higher. Don't bother trying with Windows 3.1 or 95. You might be lucky for 95, but I doubt that it will work.

Back
Top Bottom