Rep, keep it or toss it?

lol.
im just going to sit back and watch what happens now.
if it does get tossed though then i would like something else to be added.
i mean i know its a computer forum, but i still want it to have a good social aspect and a few little extras :)

I do think the reputation system should be removed, and more ranks should be added to users.

There are too many "Gurus" around here and being a "Guru" implies that you have a high level of knowledge about something. This is not something which I have seen from a large number of members here and many posts are simple "lol"s or something similar in order to boost, as well as being outright wrong. It is a classic case of quantity over quality so I think the title "Guru" is misleading.

I propose turning off post counts, turning off reputation and having a whole new set of ranks which trigger automatically depending on post count or moderator discretion.

Reputation is being abused, there are endless threads saying "w00t Im a guru and your not :D :D" (well done, you have officially spammed your way up to one thousand posts, would you like a trophy with that?). Why is being a Guru something to be excited about? They are ten-a-penny on this forum so it is hardly special, and it just proves you are posting too much when your time would be best spent doing other things. Also, being a "Guru" on this forum does not necessarily show that you know anything at all, it just shows you are prepared to post more mindless drivel than others.

If post count is not removed universally, I feel it should be removed from the Social Lounge at least.

I do think the reputation system should be removed, and more ranks should be added to users.

There are too many "Gurus" around here and being a "Guru" implies that you have a high level of knowledge about something. This is not something which I have seen from a large number of members here and many posts are simple "lol"s or something similar in order to boost, as well as being outright wrong. It is a classic case of quantity over quality so I think the title "Guru" is misleading.

I propose turning off post counts, turning off reputation and having a whole new set of ranks which trigger automatically depending on post count or moderator discretion.

Reputation is being abused, there are endless threads saying "w00t Im a guru and your not :D :D" (well done, you have officially spammed your way up to one thousand posts, would you like a trophy with that?). Why is being a Guru something to be excited about? They are ten-a-penny on this forum so it is hardly special, and it just proves you are posting too much when your time would be best spent doing other things. Also, being a "Guru" on this forum does not necessarily show that you know anything at all, it just shows you are prepared to post more mindless drivel than others.

If post count is not removed universally, I feel it should be removed from the Social Lounge at least.
Well said. I completely agree.

You could just disable giving rep in social lounge threads, and limit them to sections that have to do with computers, and also limit the amount that can be given per day. I don't like the system though, I've gotten rep for no reason, and one time I got one that said "random repapalooza!" which was stupid.

You could just disable giving rep in social lounge threads, and limit them to sections that have to do with computers, and also limit the amount that can be given per day. I don't like the system though, I've gotten rep for no reason, and one time I got one that said "random repapalooza!" which was stupid.
That's a good idea. (limiting the reputation to the computer-related forums) I really think (if possible) that if new members give you reputation for helping them out with a computer problem, it should count towards your total points. I know there's potential for abuse but what if the points could be moderated by an administrator or something before applied?

The obvious downside of this is it would give the administrator/moderation team much more work to do on top of the current load and could make them focus more on that and less on more important things like actually moderating the forums.

The other computer forum that I'm a member on DO NOT include post counts when you reply in the Social Lounge (they call it different, but you get my point). It's fun because people still post in there for everyday conversation deal. It's neat too because it encourages members to be more helpful if they want to have a "high" post count. The system works. If David want to give this a try, I'll be one of the first member to vouch for it.

i still want post count in the social lounge though. theres some useful stuff in there. i wouldnt mind a garbage section for random threads/spam which had post count disabled though :)

i still want post count in the social lounge though. theres some useful stuff in there. i wouldnt mind a garbage section for random threads/spam which had post count disabled though :)

I like the sound of that mate, I don't think we should lose our post count in the social lounge because its a good forum that most members use, if its bothering other people then they don't have to use it. I can understand members getting annoyed with one word replies though as that is sometimes needless posting.

As long as people can remain mature about it, and not give negatives for bad reasons I say keep it.

How about, any thread that a mod deletes or moves to spam does not affect the post count. Then spamming and useless threads won't crop up that fast.

Back
Top Bottom