Critique my build...

bdub84

Baseband Member
Anything you guys would change? I don't want to spend anymore than that. I'd be using my current 80gig WD HD and cd drives.

Computer.jpg

looks good to me....if im not mistaken you can get a 3.0ghz dual core amd athon for $100 less than that core 2 duo. i am an amd guy, so im not against buying an intel but the amd i just got (Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 3.0GHz) was only $170. I'm not sure of how the two differ but if they are similar i would say to go with the amd. other than that its amazing

Yeah, except the E6850 will rip apart your 6000+.

Looks great. If I were you, I'd only get 2 gigs of RAM and get the 640MB 8800GTS or even an 8800GTX, but it's up to you.

Wow, 4GB?!?! It's a lot, but for the price, it's not bad at all. Looks good. Beef up on the video card though. I've heard the 8800GTS doesn't perform as well as expected. I would rather compromise RAM for GPU.

That E6850 has the exact same price as the Q6600 (Intel Core 2 Quad). I would much rather get the quad core even if it's clocked at 2.6GHz, I think.

I'd say downgrade the CPU to an E6600, get only 2 GB of RAM, and get an 8800GTX. That would be nice. And you can easily OC the E6600 to the speeds of the E6850.

Ok, I'm looking at downgrading the RAM, CPU, and possibly the power supply.

I've read great things about the Corsair PSUs. Will the 520 watt be sufficient even with the 8800GTX? I could save a decent chunk of change by not getting the 620 watt.

So basically swap the E6850 for the E6600, downgrade to 2 gigs of ram, and then downgrade to the 520 watt PSU. Then add the 8800GTX. That would probably put me close to my $1200 goal.

No! why did you switch to ATI? Personally I still think Nvidia is the way to go.

You really want the 4GB of ram, if your spending this much money on a new computer it's worth it to get 4GB. 2GB may get you by right now, but with 4GB you don't have to worry about closing all your applications before you launch a game, etc.

Also if you are running vista, it utilizes ram differently than XP. Having over 2GB of ram really helps as it uses all memory available to try to speed up the computer.

Back
Top Bottom