PSU - A little worried

NeciFiX

In Runtime
The Dell Dimension 4600 has been recognized by it's faulty weak 250W power supply, how mine's lasted for 3 years is beyond me. I found a 480W Dell Dimension 4600 PSU for around $50 which I plan to get. My PC might be a little quieter with it, it won't ever shut the hell up as-is. And I plan to get a new video card in the future, and I have gotten new RAM, so this weak 3 year old faulty PSU is bound to die eventually. I read an article on installing a PSU (I'm not computer retarded as it may seem, I'm just unfamiliar with the INSIDES of a PC, I can locate most/all of the parts correctly, just never actually built one, never needed to) and it talked about possibly ripping out the motherboard, and looking in my PC and all these wires I can't help but think disaster will occur. Any tips?

Here is the PSU I'm looking at, I know 480 might be it's peak but It's safe to say it could operate perfectly in the 425-450W range, plus, it doesn't seem too low quality, probably around medium quality. That's all I'm looking for, I mean, I've ran perfectly on this crappy weak low quality defective 4600 PSU for a year now, and the guy who had it before me on Craigslist had it for like 3 years, so...

Also, in a Dell Dimension 4600, the video card I would plan to get would be an AGP. I have 3 white slots so to say inside, I'm pretty sure those are PCI-(E?) slots, one is taken already, and a green one. I'm assuming the green one is the AGP? And is it AGP 4x or 8x?

113309-22680_op.jpg

See what I mean? Hazard prone me would probably destroy something in that cluster-fuck.

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

P.S. Would this video card work for my PC? I believe I read somewhere that it does. I know it's cheap but I'm not looking into huge gaming. I'm not really interested in high GFX Games like World of Warcraft (though, my current video card which is like 64MB can handle it pretty well on the lowest settings, so quadruple that... I wouldn't have it all maxed out though lol) or Elder Scrolls Oblivion, basically just like Fable, and getting my desktop looking nicer.

Back
Top Bottom