Rep, keep it or toss it?

hmm resetting it would make people want to race to the top again.
if we do toss it we need something else to kind of replace it. we need some extras on the forum after all :)

How about reseting the rep counts every 6 months or so, that way it solves the problem of people maxing out on the bars and also people won't obsese about rep count since it will expire every 6 months. How about that?
That seems kind of pointless to me. I say keep the rep; what harm is it doing? There seems to be a fairly minimal amount of flaming about negative rep points going on.

There are a lot of things that can be implemented, but require more work and possibly more mods.

But from the forums I've been on, there are no Reputation systems at all (while a few do). If you look around, you'll see people noticing more of the post count and title under their usename than anything else. When I first joined a car club, the first thing that catch my eye on various members are their title status. If they're Guru, Senior Member, etc. Those show that they are more willing to help and reply to threads than the newbies.

Also, post count helps to reinforce that seniority. If you compare someone that has a thousand posts and someone that has only 20 posts, who do you think are most likely to reply to threads and help out? Of course, it's the ones that stick around the longest. A Rep system is all right, but there are other contributing factors than just that.

If they're Guru, Senior Member, etc. Those show that they are more willing to help and reply to threads than the newbies.

it possible to have thousands of posts and never have answered a computer help question

Just because a person has a lot of rep points and a lot of posts, doesnt mean they are more willing to help, can just mean they have a lot of time on their hands and post just for the hell of it. I see so many people stressing over rep points and negative reps and absolute crap posts and such here, I think sometimes people actually forget this is a Computer help forum.

It's true too, but they're also the ones willing to post. See, a lot of newbie members come and go in a very short time (most likely to get some questions answered, that's it). What makes a forum work is a community of strong dedicated members that's been here for awhile. If every member on here just comes here then leave--never to come back, then this forum will generally be dead. I don't find a problem with people posting in the Social Lounge, as I do that myself. They're active enough to generate activity on here.

But I guess that's what makes this forum so diverse. Not only are there a few that help out in the general part of the forum, but the social lounge has a range of topics ranging from everyday life type topics to simple thoughts of the day.

I say keep it, but if its the amount of bars people are getting lately thats annoying people then raise the ratio number from say 100 to 300 this way it would slow down the number of bars we would get.
You could also limit the rep received or given from the same person to say once every two months max.

the amount of threads going omgz david never does anything give us rep bars there were before this system was bought in was rediculous..... now you guys want to get shot of it? i said then it was gonna get abused by some members.. oh look whats happened..

overall, its not a bad system.. but there are some members who cant cope with having the ability to add a little green bar to other members.. it really doesnt bother me either way, but with the amount of threads flaming david and saying he never does anything before this was bought in there were, and now a sticky saying that it should be dragged down does make me laugh...

Back
Top Bottom