how are 2x/4x cores rateds?

Kungfucow

Baseband Member
is like a 3.0Ghz dual or quad core rated per core, or the overall speed? Just curious because apparently my 3.73 P4 single core isn't quite strong enough for the direct X 10 games that are arriving, or so I'm told.(sounded like a lie too me >.>")

Thats right, Your 3.73ghz P4 performance is lower than a single core outta 2.0ghz dual core processor.

3.0ghz dual core is rated per core, not combined.

WOW I really wish I knew that when I bought my computer. ><"
wasted so much money on that friggen processor. o well I'll fix that later I guess T_T

A 2GHz quad core 2 is really 10GHZ!! which is really amazing to think how far technology has come

....wait a minute. Are you sure? I thought it was 3GHz overall using all four cores (assuming it's a 3GHz stock quad core CPU).

I'm pretty sure it is 3GHZ overall or whatever, because there is no application or game that would use the power of all 4 cores at the same time, and utilise them perfectly to achieve that sort of rate realistically.

its more then just ghz
pipelines have a lot to do with ti
how much catch
a 2ghz single core could be faster then a 3ghz

It doesn't work like that. A 2.4Ghz quad added up would total 9.6ghz but its not 9.6ghz. It just has 4, 2.4ghz chips to divide the actual tasks up.

Although they do a rating system though. This is based off older tech like when you see a game requirments of 2.2ghz. A new core2duo 2.2ghz chip is much faster then a p4 2.2ghz chip. Due to higher FSB's and more cache.

So when I run the system labs tests it shows my core2duo at 3.525 has a rated clock speed of 10.05Ghz. My system is not 10.05Ghz thats just how its rated compared to a older 2.2ghz chip.

Back
Top Bottom