Rep, keep it or toss it?

I aired my comments in the other thread.....but I completely disagree with those that say that rep demonstrates to others that the people are receiving rep for beneficial or quality posts.

We could drag a search out for all those threads which have said I have 3 bars, 4 bars, 5 bars etc... and in those threads you will see at least 6 or 7 posts stating that they will give rep to that person, therefore self perpetuating an increase in rep.

It is the same for the ol 1000, 2000, 3000, 4567 threads rep is given for having achieved that, why???

In the other thread, I think it was Thelis that pointed out that out of his 600+ rep points that he had received that only something like 250 of those was awarded for high quality posts.

I have also received rep for giving someone rep, and believe me I have only given rep something like 3-4 times, and only neg repped someone once I think.

The system is inherently flawed, and I don't have a suggestion to improve it, because as someone else mentioned those people that are seeking advice are often those whom are new to the forum, so those rep don't actually count.

That is the key thing. New members ask the most questions. The rep they would give you does not count. The only reason that this is is because people will make another account to rep themselves.

How about reseting the rep counts every 6 months or so, that way it solves the problem of people maxing out on the bars and also people won't obsese about rep count since it will expire every 6 months. How about that?

How about reseting the rep counts every 6 months or so, that way it solves the problem of people maxing out on the bars and also people won't obsese about rep count since it will expire every 6 months. How about that?

People would still rep for pointless reasons and obsess over the amount of bars they have and it will be abused like it currently is. I agree with raffaz, just do away with it.

Back
Top Bottom