Net security - I want it locked DOWN!

Eighty8lx501

Baseband Member
So, I am looking for the best ways to lock your internet up. Currently running Tor/Privoxy, Zone alarm free, avg free, spybot, Ccleaner.

What else should I be running? Or maybe there is something better to replace what I am currently running.

Lets talk about the most secure way to run Firefox.

Thanks!

Get something decent and stop running a ton of "free" garbage.
They are free for a reason.............running all those ap's at the same time just slows down your PC and can cause compatability issues.

They are free for a reason.............running all those ap's at the same time just slows down your PC and can cause compatability issues.

So what's "decent", and whats wrong with what I am running. I can not afford new $$$ software. What should I get rid of and replace with?

Ok well I agree AVG is free for a reason , if you are a sensible internet user and are just visiting family friendly websites you should never run into problems , but nowerdays you never know wheny you are going to be inadvertantly redirected to one of thoose unnapropriate websites so its better to be safe than sorry
For antivrius i use NOD32 on all my computers now and it seems to be both independant testes one of the best at detecting viruses and from my experience uses very little memory .
For firewall i use Comodo personal firewall which in independant tests score very high , in fact higher than all the paid firewalls yet it is free
http://www.matousec.com/projects/wi...ysis/leak-tests-results.php#firewalls-ratings
ANd other things i do is run a spywayre scan every so often using adaware ,and spybot search and destroy , i also run cc cleaner every so often to get rid of unneeded reg entries and other crap

It may not be cheap but NOD32 is well worth the money , or you could Aquire it from a certain source but that would be illegal and not allowed to be discussed here

I have now replaced AVG Free with Nod32, Replaced Zone alarm free with COMODO firewall Pro.

I heard good reviews about both Nod32 and COMODO. So for the time being, I will run Tor/privoxy,Nod32,COMODO,Spybot, and Ccleaner. All through a Linksys router.

Anything else?

I don't run all those programs at one time, what do you mean by slow down my pc and compatibility issues? I have never had any problems with that.

just because they are free doesnt mean they are bad!
avg and zone alarm have served me really well. i only get into problems when i mess things up.

So, I am looking for the best ways to lock your internet up. Currently running Tor/Privoxy, Zone alarm free, avg free, spybot, Ccleaner.

Tor & Privoxy & vidalia are all excellent software. NOD32 is all hype look into Kaspersky for AV protection. It's the number 1 ranked in AV software. ;)

TOR and Privoxy is not free 'garbage'. I personally run and use Tor & Privoxy & vidalia myself. The TOR network is excellent for what I need it for. ;) Also, TOR uses SSL to encrypt all data, and doesn't even leak DNS requests, as long as it's configured properly and using an appropriate proxy (such as Privoxy, which comes in the bundle)

If you really want your system locked down then disable 'unneccessary services' running on your system. Configure your web browser for *browser security*. Check file permissions, use STRONG passwords, rename the administrator account. Create a bogus Admin account. Make sure to disable
*Active Directory* Use NTFS for partitons and run EFS for Encryption. Enabling auditing (If you want to make sure your security is being maintaned you need to enable auditing). HINT event viewer. ;)

Run a firewall configure the firewall. Also, make sure to check the firewall logs. Keep your system and all your software up to date usually can be done through windows update.

Learn to *Harden the Windows TCP/IP stack*:
Why? So, SYN Flood and other SYN-based DoS attacks can be blocked for your protection. The list can go on and on.

Brian_Fenner <---you don't know what you're talking about. Just because it's free doesn't mean it's *garbage*. Nmap, Fport, Process explorer, tor, John the Ripper, Metasploit Framework, Netcat, hping2, Ettercap, Netstumbler, Aircrack, the list can go on & on. Point is, free software is the shizzzzzzzzznittttttttttttt. A bunch of hackers, programmers, geeks, write and analyze lines and lines of computer code and you call it garbage. Not k00l dude. Just my two cents.

Cheers, 0x0161

Tor & Privoxy & vidalia are all excellent software. NOD32 is all hype look into Kaspersky for AV protection. It's the number 1 ranked in AV software. ;)

Not wishing to start a argument here, but isn't like the only reason Kaspersky is rated above NOD32 because of it's user interface?

Back
Top Bottom