Computer Reboots at Startup

schazz1

Solid State Member
Hey guys, just found you all on google...
My computer won't boot.
I believe the precursor was that this morning, I accidentally flipped the power switch on the surge protector as my desktop was shutting down. I didn't turn it back on until this afternoon and this is what it now does:

It boots to a black screen saying: windows did not start successfully, would you like to start your computer in 1) safe mode 2) with previous successful configuration 3) in normal mode, etc.

When I make any selection, it begins to boot then stops and restarts. If I select safe mode it scrolls code across the screen, stops, and restarts after about 10 seconds. If I choose normal mode, it goes to the windows startup screen, looks like its starting, then restarts.

One thing is that I was able to get the computer to boot up with a Knoppix CD successfully so I assume that it is a software rather than hardware issue?

I appreciate any help!

Yes...my computer is home built (3 years ago) with an AMD64 3400+ cpu with asus a8v deluxe mobo, 1GB PC3200, 75GB raptor, and an ati video card, 9800pro i think...

to me it definately sounds like something wrong with the hardrive / software on the hardrive.

you said you built the comp you self which tells me 2 things.

1 you know a bit abotu computers so i dont have to talk in simpleton language
and
2 you have a windows disk ?

otherwise how did u get windows on there ?

well i suggest seeing if you can boot from the windows disk and repair the installation,

if you dont know how to do that post again and ill write a guide or you could google it.

O and welcome to CF

Schazz, when your computer reboots do you see a blue screen (for a fraction of a second) right before the comp reboots again??

Back
Top Bottom