Will this work?

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Um, I turned on my computer and it didn't exactly boot..

It said that I was missing a file N(SDAASIHEFA).exe(probably, maybe a dll..)... (started with an N, don't know what fter that) I will reboot my computer to see what the file was, but for now I am on linux.

I installed Ubuntu on my slave drive that I was not using. Windows is on my primary in an F: partition about 50gb and all my stuff is on a 200 (about) gb partition.
I was wondering if I could get that file by zipping it and sending it to myself, opening on this computer with Ubuntu and somehow getting to that folder where it goes and pasting it there. I know I can probably put my primary drive in another Windows computer and do it easy.. but I choose the hard way for now :D

Will it work?

Thanks

-Q

It's XP btw.

Well, I got an XP cd, my friends, and you know when you put a cd in and you're running Linux, it doesn't just run. When you double click it it just opens... So I copied all the files from the CD to a folder on my desktop so I can find the one that I'm missing and I can just paste it back in there.

Well, I can't open my other harddrive... any Idea? What do I do? How do I open it? ;p

tHanks

-Q

I am going to move this to general. You will get a better response there.

Easy stuff. You need to mount the hard drive. Go in your Home Foler and look at the left hand side of the window. Look for Disk Volumes and double click on it. It mounts the drive, but I'm sorry to say to you that you CAN'T copy files to your drive. Reason is, it's read-only and can't be written to NTFS.

Ok, well if I can't copy files on linux, is there any chance using windows? If I put the crashed hdd in my bros computer as a slave drive and copy the files. Will it work?

I deleted one of my os files on accident when changing it..

tools>folder options> unhide operating system files

yeah.. so I just need to paste it back into my g: folder

If I can't save windows, is there anyway I can get my stuff off? I wrote scripts for games and they are save as .txt so if I can even see them as read only then that would be ok..

I will try what you suggested when I get home.

Thanks for a reply :p

-Q

Ok, well, my friend joined the marines and left.. wont be back for a year and a half so I have his computer. .. which is significantly better than my 8 year old store bought one.. we built this one (his) together.

I'm going to stick my 250gb hdd in his as a slave drive and format the OS partition I made then just use the other 200gb partition like normal and leave the 50gb partition empty. When he wants his computer back I will have probably built one myself.. and I ll still have all mystuff (I will be saving and installing everything to my 200gb partition) and just keep my hdd and install windows onto the 50gb partition.

Back
Top Bottom