Cannot delete folder (and I have searched this forum)

dbone

Baseband Member
I have a 320 GB WD external hard drive (USB). After a few weeks of using it only as a backup, it started to run slow and now I cannot delete one folder on there. Everything else on tehre has been deleted, and everything inside the folder has been deleted. When trying to do anything with the folder it goes extremely slow. The folder is a "My Music" folder.

I have tried everything I can think of (with the use of Google and many forums). When I try to delete the folder I get the message "cannot delete folder directory is not empty". When I try to delete through command prompt I get "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I have tried lots of other things including little freeware programs to remove folders. I am using XP SP2 and will tell you anything elese you need to know. I have been working on this for 3 days now. I can still use the drive, it just bothers me because it will not get rid of that folder.

when i try and do a quick format it tells me that windows was unable to complete the format...regular just takes too long...plus i just want to know how to fix it

I guess I will. I am just wondering if this drive had some important stuff on it, what could I do instead of reformatting. Apparently there are plenty of people that have yet to solve this.

The folder is not being used by anything. It is an empty folder and I have tried everything...safe mode. It will not even let me take a my music folder from my laptop and move it to the hard drive to just override the folder. I can move other folders over, I just cannot do anything with that one folder.

Have you tried right clicking and checking to make sure the file isn't protected in the properties.

It sounds like the folder is corrupted, can you copy files into the folder?

It is not protected. Whether it is corrupt or not, the thing is a pain. I can not move any files into it. It let me open it a couple days ago, it took like 4 minutes for it to open, but it did. No it usually just locks up the drive if I even click on it.

Back
Top Bottom