HDD Useage

beachbumfromoz

Solid State Member
My Dell Inspiron 530 is just over a month old.......it replaced an old Packard Bell that I had for a few years and it had a 40Gb HDD.

The HDD on this PC is 500Gb.....a couple of things......

1...in my comp it shows the drive as 455Gb. Is this because Vista is installed and partitioned on the other 45Gb???

2...of the 455Gb it says I have 388Gb free....this seems be getting less by the day......I have installed a few programs since I got the machine but I have less on it than my old PC with a 40Gb HDD. When I look in "C" drive and add up whats there is only about 10Gig plus there is a recovery drive "E" that's 10Gb, so how can I have used 67Gb??

Any ideas?

Cheers
Col

how many days have you had the new hardrive with vista on it ?

my opinion on point 2.

the reason i ask is that system restore is probably turned on and it will take 15% of your hardrive which is 75Gb so you may want to disable that or lower the % of your hardrive it takes.

my opinion on point 1.

you will never get 100% of your hardrive show up in my computer it just doesnt happen. although a loss of 45Gb does sound alot. i mean with my 160Gb have 147Gb ? so maye its about right. i wouldnt worry too much like i said you will never get 100% of any hardrive

500GB = 500000MB. That's why you have 455GB. To have a full 500GB, you'll need this much:512000MB

500GB = 500000MB. That's why you have 455GB. To have a full 500GB, you'll need this much:512000MB

please explain more ?

you cant say 500Gb is 500000Mb is 455Gb ?

is this all to do with the 1024Mb in a Gb thing ?

if so then the manafuctures are kinda false adveritising

Thanks for the prompt responses :)

Got the new machine on August 29 with Vista Premium on it.

So is it ok to turn restore off? or how do i reduce the amount of space it takes up and is there any danger in doing so?

Col

please explain more ?

you cant say 500Gb is 500000Mb is 455Gb ?

is this all to do with the 1024Mb in a Gb thing ?

if so then the manafuctures are kinda false adveritising
No, 500 isn't 500000MB. That ammount is 455GB. Do 500000MB/1024. Hey! That adds up to 488GB! Erm...there's something being used in the drive taking that extra space. Personally though, you'll never have a perfect 500GB drive. You could always get a higher than 500GB drive and partition a drive with 512000MB.

I wouldn't turn system restore off, but in the disk clean up wizard there is a button to delete all but the most recent restore point. You can do that and free up a good amount of space.

@beachbumfromoz sorry i just noticed mate your sig is like 13 lines max is 5 please edit it

Not trying to be smart arse but when i did sig it told me i had a max number of characters to use....and also says:

Signature Permissions
Allow BB Code No
Allow HTML NoAllow Smilies No
Can Upload Images for Signature No
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

So I sorry I didnt see where it said 5 lines

Col

Back
Top Bottom