Looking for a mid level laptop

RyanZec

Solid State Member
I am right now in the market for a mid level laptop that will be mainly used for linux programming(Web/Game). I don't need some 3000 dollar laptop, just something that is descent and costs around 1500. currently the best one i can find is this:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=687&action=customize

Specs:
15.4" WXGA LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1280X800)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 / 4MB L2 Cache, 2.20GHz, 800MHz FSB
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT Graphics with 512MB DDR2 Video Memory
Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 1024MB
250GB 5400rpm SATA 150 Hard Drive

Cost: 1589

The reason i am getting window vista is because in my experience windows home editions just suck big time and even tho i am mainly going to use linux(Ubuntu) i am still going to format my hardrive with 2 partitions a one 200GB for Ubuntu and then the rest for Window which will basically just have visual studio and maybe a game or 2.

What do you think about this system, is it descent for the money? would you recommend anything else?

Not bad....for the cost. I say go for it. You may want to consider upgrading the hard drive to a 7200RPM version. Speeds things up as far as access time is concerened. Otherwise, I give it two thumbs up!!! :)

I def. agree with ISOwner, the 7200rpm drive will def. give you a big performance increase.

The reason why I think his config is sooo good is because I've been researching laptops for quite awhile before getting my Insprion. For the specs he's got and the price that goes with it, it's eye pleasing. Now try configuring a Dell Inspiron what those specs and watch it jump pass that price range.

How good is access time for a higher RPM External HD? I mean would a 7200RPM External HD be better than a 5400RPM internal HD?

In general, internal hard drives will always be faster than an external drive. But for extra storage, the convenience of just plugging in an external drive to a USB port can't be beat. You should just be able to drag and drop your pictures from your drive to the external drive open up a Windows File Explorer window for each. When dragging files and folders between different drives, Windows defaults to copy mode (as opposed to moving mode when you do this between locations on the same drive).

But in answer to your question, I believe getting a 7200RPM external drive is a good investment and I'm sure the difference evens out the internal 5400RPM drive. That drive is your bottleneck.

Yes, that looks very good lap. The process and graphicalunites is very very nice. Muy expensive, but very niace fo the linux.

Well thinking about it, I rather spend 80 less for 50GB more at 5400RPM than spend 80 more for 50GB leas at 7200RPM. I mean my current HD is 160GB and pretty sure it is only 5400RPM(it is about 3-4 years old). I don't care all too much about startup time for the OS and programs and what not, I have lived with it all my life, i can live with it for another 6-12 months. While i ended up with something more expensive(ended up spend 250 more), I got this computer for 2 reason, 1. To upgrade my current computer which is stuck at directX 9 supported video cards(no PCI Express) and will need a directX10 supported video card soon for my programming and 2. To have a computer that i can take with me because there are time when i go somewhere and wish i had a computer.

But like i said i ended up spend about 250 more for the same thing except i have a 17 inch instead of 15 inch(figure it is worth it)

Back
Top Bottom