Noobie needs help deciding what parts to build my computer with.

I personally don't think it would make a difference getting one with faster transmission rate. 54Mbps is pretty fast trasnferring data between router to your PC. The bottleneck is at the ISP. They purposely give you like 4-8Mbps download rate.

wow, ill just stick to the cheaper name brand ones then. This website isnt letting me give you any more rep points.

Thanks though, I really appreciate all your help.

Among a home network faster transmission rates can occur when you're playing games on a LAN or transferring huge files between other PCs (if you have home networking setup). But you have to make sure your wireless router matches the speed of your wireless adapter for that to happen. The modem is bypassed at that point.

Among a home network faster transmission rates can occur when you're playing games on a LAN or transferring huge files between other PCs (if you have home networking setup). But you have to make sure your wireless router matches the speed of your wireless adapter for that to happen. The modem is bypassed at that point.

We do have home networking setup here, but I rarely use it. I'm only really concerned with the internet speeds, and didn't want the wireless adpater to be the bottleneck.

Thanks

-Charlie

You'll do fine with that Linksys model. I personally have the D-Link version of the USB Wireless Netowrk Adapter. It's got bad reviews, but I love mine. I have a lot of success with my products. Guess I'm lucky. My laptop wireless cuts out a lot more than the D-Link version and I mean A LOT. But these days, there are so many interference from all over the place and it's hard to avoid unless you can alter the frequency of the device.

They make internal PCI internal adapters too, but it's a little more work to install.

You'll do fine with that Linksys model. I personally have the D-Link version of the USB Wireless Netowrk Adapter. It's got bad reviews, but I love mine. I have a lot of success with my products. Guess I'm lucky. My laptop wireless cuts out a lot more than the D-Link version and I mean A LOT. But these days, there are so many interference from all over the place and it's hard to avoid unless you can alter the frequency of the device.

They make internal PCI internal adapters too, but it's a little more work to install.

yeah, I was looking at those internal ones. I might just go that route, so I dont have to use up a usb port.

I personally don't think it would make a difference getting one with faster transmission rate. 54Mbps is pretty fast trasnferring data between router to your PC. The bottleneck is at the ISP. They purposely give you like 4-8Mbps download rate.

I would love an internet connection at that speed. Poor old Australia is way behind on internet speeds. I think the max uber speed we can get is something like 20-30Mps. Whereas other counties measure their connections in Gigabits! My uncle living in Hong Kong can download a movie faster than I could a webpage.:( Amazing...

uh, 20-30mps is really fast.. when he said 54, he was referring to LAN transfer. Router and PC, not internet.

Well let me update this thread. Ive built my computer!

It was alot easier than I thought, and it booted up first try. :)

It isn't quite as fast as I thought it would be. For example, when I open a new program it still takes a few seconds load up. If everything appears to be working is there anything that could still be wrong? Or is it ormal when opening a new program.

Also the fan speed gauge says they are running at 100% but my temp gauge says its at less than 30 C. So I think I wired the fan gauge wrong.

I bought a Netgear PCI wireless adapter, and it worked in and out for the first hour or so. But now it only gets an "intermittent connection" But my laptop gets fine reception in the exact same place. Any ideas?

thanks a ton folks :)

Back
Top Bottom