My mobo fan isn't working.

Had a problem with a stock fan a couple years back where it would spin up really high for like 10minutes then it would go really slow for 30minutes then sometimes it would stop completely for 5 seconds and then spin up again. If this is similar to the same problem then I would just replace the heatsink and fan on the CPU. If it is actually the mobo fan and not the CPU fan then I would try a new fan. Older fans had a tendency to fail alot more frequently than they should.

[SIZE=-1]875P (canterwood) chipset, ABIT IC7 (G?). I used a lot of air to clean it. It's a stock mobo fan. And there is only one.
[/SIZE]
I used to own a Max3 version of that board and iirc it had a northbidge fan on it too.

Having Googled images of the board I find that there is indeed a Northbridge fan, is this the one in question or are we talking cpu fan?

EDIT: OK seems as we didn't get a reply I'll go with the NB fan, there are really only two options, ghetto fix and replace.

Ghetto fix: gently lift the sticker on the centre of the fan and add a drop of light machine oil (sewing machine oil works well) just one small drop, replace the sticker, lay the case on its side so gravity can assist the oil in entering the bearing, leave for a few hours, you can run the pc with the case on its side just fine.

Replacement altenatives - depending on the board (Max3 v G) if it is a G you could probably source an after market fan, if it is a Max3 you will probably need to contact Abit

Other alternatives - complete NB cooling replacement either fan cooled or passive.

It's a Max3 and that is the NB fan, see my above post for suggestions.

EDIT: The ghetto fix is only a temporary solution, I'd recommend replacement.

Where you say you used a lot of air to clean it I hope you weren't spinning the fan excessively with the air, exceeding the rated rpm of the fan can cause bearing failure.

Naw, i haven't dusted it in a year, but it was doing it before I dusted it. So I have to call taiwan and get a IC7 fan? Belarc says this:

Board: http://www.abit.com.tw/ IC7/IC7-G(Intel i875P-ICH5) 1.0/1.1
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/30/2004

So is my computer o' G or not? (lol, sorry for the stupid joke)

That looks like the exact fan, I dont think they need to differentiate between max's they're a universal fit.

I'd get one of those.

EDIT: Zalman or any passive heat sinks rely on good case cooling to work, most early passive coolers were modded by ....... adding a fan to increase efficiency

:D

in your bios is there something called Qfan? plus this problem might be normal as in your mother board is cool and it slows down to reduce noise level. then when it gets hotter it speeds up.

Here's everything my BIOS says:
Hyper Threading Transport
Quick Power on Self Test
Hard drive boot priority
- bootable addin device
-HDD change message
First Boot device
Second Boot device
Third Boot device
boot other device
swap floppy drive
boot up floppy drive