Need opinions on this laptop...

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Hi

Could anyone give their opinion on this laptop i was looking at...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/130464

It will be used for a bit of gaming, not much and not many intensive games, will be used for generally everything plus some CAD work. I think for a Vaio its a decent price :D

Also, should i get the +3 Years extended guarantee instead of the 12 months standard guarantee?

Thanks!!

Edit: Price in $ is about 1400 and with the +3 years guarantee its around $1700

because the laptop runs vista, how hard would it be to create a separate partition on the hard disk to dual boot with xp to run the programs that aren't compatible with vista? Thanks

@ ssc456
i looked at all them closely, and narrowed it down to one of the Asus notebooks compared to the Vaio now here is a short list comparing the two:

Sony Vaio FZ18L | Asus F5V
CPU Clock Speed: 1.8GHz | CPU Clock Speed: 1.86GHz
FSB: 800MHz | FSB: 533MHz
Hard Drive: 160Gb SATA | Hard Drive: 160Gb SATA
GPU: GeForce 8400M GT | GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon X2300
GPU Memory: 335Mb | GPU Memory: 512Mb
Installed RAM: 1Gb (Max 2Gb) | Installed RAM: 2Gb (Max 4Gb)

@ ssc456
i looked at all them closely, and narrowed it down to one of the Asus notebooks compared to the Vaio now here is a short list comparing the two:

TBH just because of the Extra GB of RAM id go for the ASUS or if you decide to go for the Sony then id reccomend buying an extra Gb (Catch 22) to get maximum performance.

Catch 22 explained : you can almost gurantee that laptop has 2 X 512 sticks and probably only 2 slots therefore if you want 2Gb you acttually have to buy a whole new 2GB.

so ..... lets see what the other members say about them 2

@ ssc456

Just one question ?Processor names,
assuming both are C2d i would go for the asus one
Although i am not too sure if the gpu is integrated it has the extra memory which will make a big difference in vista
and the capability for 4gb is there in the future in the asus one

although tbh i see no big quality differences between sony and asus , both make very good quality products and if you pick either one i am sure you will be satisfied

As to the question about creating a new partition , that wouldnt be a big problem at all

Would it make much of a different, if i did go for the asus, that the FSB is 533MHz compared to the sony's 800MHz?

Plus the sony has a maximum ram capacity of 2Gb, and comes with a 1Gb stick, the asus has a maxium ram capacity of 4gb, and comes with two 1 Gb sticks.

And both use the Intel Dual Core processors...

Back
Top Bottom