overclocking help

sfxhewitt

In Runtime
high all i got my new pc a few days ago ill post some pics of cpu-z

i wanna overclock my cpu to about 3.4ghz somthin like that hope you can help me thanks

is my processor speedsteped i think its called because the bus speed is 333 and the multiplyer is 6 thats 2000 (2ghz)

Yeah, you'll find the option to turn that off in the BIOS.
The default speed should be 333x8, am I correct?

Your processor should be able to handle a good overclock anyway.

Go into the BIOS, and start changing the FSB, and look for the RAM speed while your doing this.
Getting to 400x8 will be 2.2GHZ, and this is a nice overclock to start with, so try booting after changing that, without upping the voltage.

If it boots into Windows fine and runs some kind of stress test with no issues, you can up it more. At some point, expect to have to up voltages also, though don't go far with this...

Don't worry, breaking your CPU is very hard to do, as long as your not silly with the voltages.

To test this, I just pumped my 2.4GHZ Quad to 3.6ghz by putting the voltage to 5.5 and upping the FSB to 400, with a Multiplier of 9, with RAM running in 1:1 sync to the processor.

Results on a 9700 Zalman on load? Well... Around 67 degrees C on a couple of the cores... A bit hot, but its stable.

Just go slow, and nothing can go wrong. Just check temps, using a program like Core Temp while doing tests.

You can expect the computer to blue screen if you haven't set the voltage high enough, and thats okay.

Don't worry, breaking your CPU is very hard to do, as long as your not silly with the voltages.

To test this, I just pumped my 2.4GHZ Quad to 3.6ghz by putting the voltage to 5.5 and upping the FSB to 400, with a Multiplier of 9, with RAM running in 1:1 sync to the processor.

Results on a 9700 Zalman on load? Well... Around 67 degrees C on a couple of the cores... A bit hot, but its stable.

Just go slow, and nothing can go wrong. Just check temps, using a program like Core Temp while doing tests.

You can expect the computer to blue screen if you haven't set the voltage high enough, and thats okay.

okay if the pc blue screens then how do you fix it? how do you change the settings back to what they were before you hit the blue screen?

If you can reset the computer, and are capable of going into the BIOS, do so.

If the board isn't resetting though, and won't boot at all, best way is to try and find a CMOS header on your motherboard.

Its a switch, or a jumper you just move to one side, leave for a second or two, and put back again to reset the BIOS settings to default.

If, you don't have one of these, overclocking becomes harder, since you'll have to take out the BIOS battery everytime it doesn't work, for as long as it takes to clear.

Back
Top Bottom