Vista or XP

DESIGN

Solid State Member
I'm getting my new CPU in the mail today... and I was planning on doing a fresh install of XP when I finally get it but I have been unable to locate my copy of the OS. So now I have the option to install either one... its just a matter of going to my university bookstore and picking up a copy of either for $10.

I have used XP since it came out and I have been quite content. I don't use my computer for much besides listening/downloading MP3s and movies, using Publisher every now and again to update my really BLAND website, playing CS 1.6/Source, play poker online, chat, check email, view pr0n, etc.

Nothing that really requires me to have DX10. Like I said I've been content with XP and I'm not sure if I'd need Vista for anything else...

Given all of that information, and as you can see my hardware from my signature (CPU will be changing over to an Opteron), which direction would you head? I might reinstall Stalker again, but for now my 360 occupies most of my gaming needs.

Just wondering...

I don't see a signature with specs... Once they are added, I'll voice my oppinion.

I like Vista. It takes a bit more resources than XP but it's worth it... in my opinion anyway. Plus, you'll be future proof for after Microsoft ends support for XP.

As the others have said it depends on the specs of your computer. I wouldn't recommend Vista on a computer with anything less then 1GB of RAM. But for best performance I (and others) would recommend at least 2GB of RAM when using Vista.

Also if you want the 3D effects which is a major part of Vista you'll also need quite a powerful GPU (Graphics Card) and vista works best with Dual and Qaud Processors.

I use Vista on my laptop (see specs in sig) and on idle at desktop with the gadgets it uses about 34% of the 2GB memory in it.

i agree, except the part about gpu's. it will still run aero on low end cards, but obviously the better the gpu, and higher specs, the better it will run overall

Get XP for now, wait a while, get Vista in a couple months. You got an advantage by being in college you can buy it for 10 bucks. When my sister gets into college i'm gona use her to buy all my softwares!

yea. if actually buy software for that price lol.
i know this is naughty, but why not download vista and give it a trial run, no need to crack it or anything

Choosing Vista is the best choice if your new computer meets all the system requirements. Don't go backwards with XP. Big mistake, of course, you have legacy software that you use tons in which Vista has no support for yet....

But the next Windows OS will be more enhanced. Only two more years, and we have a new successor to Vista. I'm so excited.

"The next version of Windows will be a transition from where Microsoft is to where it needs to be. Vista is our last operating system that looks backward." --Ray Ozzie, Microsoft's new chief software architect.

It will also be less "bloated" too.

...So now I have the option to install either one... its just a matter of going to my university bookstore and picking up a copy of either for $10...

Wow! Now I feel ripped off after paying full price for Vista... especially since I'm a freshman in college. Anyway, either OS will be fine for your activities. But, just as everyone else said... I need to see your specs.

Back
Top Bottom