Fair usage how much bandwith do you use?

Alright well I think i've finally given in. I think its time I bite the bullet and get satellite internet. I've googled it up and down and compared all these websites and need some help with a few things.

It comes down to Hughes Net or Wild Blue. If I get Hughes net I have to pay $399.98 upfront or do it on a $99.99 a month for like 18 or 24 months something like that. If I go with Wild Blue through Dish Network it looks like all I pay for is the lease fee of $199.99. Certainly more attractive but theres a catch. It has a fair access policy which Hughes Net does not. So heres there policy.

Platinum Package Peak Download 17,000megs per 30 days which equals 566.66megs per day. Peak Upload 5,000 megs per 30 days or 166.66 megs per day. How much do you upload playing multiplayer games?

Then it states your usage drops to 128kb/s down and 28kb/s up until you fall below your 70% quota of usage. So if I understand it right once the next calender month passes and I drop below 70% of max usage I go back to normal download speeds of 1.5mb/s down 256kb/s up.

Both plans end up being $79.99 a month just with hughesnet its $99.99 a month unless I pay $400 upfront.

Now with the Hughes Net they have a different type of Fair Access Policy. It doesn't provide the ProPlus download threshould but the Pro Package is as followed. 350Megs download threshold per 1-4hours constant usage . Service drops to FAP after you exceed that amount for 8-12hours. Then it states it has a recovery rate of 56 not really sure what that is though :/ So the only thing with that is if I want to download a movie or game after i've downloaded 350megs i'll be capped for 12 hours which really sucks. Total usage if I add 350 megs up over 30 days would be 10,500megs then add in another 10,500 megs for the other 12hours after it would be removed I'd get 21,000megs hypothetically per month.

Another thing the Hughes Net offers a larger dish type. A .98powerpak version vs the standard .74 meter dish. I don't think i'm going to upgrade the actual dish size. Thats a extra $300 lol. Whats the big difference just better reception?

Also I see a option for a static IP for a extra $10 a month. What exactly is this? Sorry no real experience with high speed anything cause i've always lived outside of coverage areas. The only time I could of had it I couldn't afford it.

I guess with the Hughes Net you also get like $250 in rebates back so maybe it would be cheaper to just go with there service. Who knows how long they will take or if i'll even get them.

Anyways heres the links if you want to take a look. Just looking for opinions on which route to go. Also if you know of a better plan somewhere let me know!

Dish Network Platinum Package

Heres a link to Dish Networks Fair Access Policy.

HughesNet ProPlus

Hughes Net Fair Access policy

I work roughly 14-17 days out of the month o so I'm only really on, on my days off so it would be like 13-16 days steady usage and 14-17 days no real usage except to check my mail. No need to leave it on to download stuff while at work after I upgrade.

Thanks for the help guys. Originally I didn't see HughesNets Fair Access policy. I'm almost thinking 17gigs is better than possibly 21gigs because I have the freedom to download more than 350megs in a 12 hour period. Plus the Dish Network on another glance has a better upload at 256kb/s up vs hughes at 200kb/s up. Each time I look at it Dish Network is looking better and better.

Thats enought bandwith for gaming but your going to get some bad latency with sat internet. Also if your a bit torrent user its going to be some mighty slow seeding speeds.

that fair usuage policy is BS IMO. for example you want to download something like America's Army. its over a gig so you wouldnt be able to do it because you can only download 566mb a day, and you cant restart a download that is a .zip or .exe. so your pretty much have to torrent everything that is over 566mb, and you will get way slower speeds that way.

although both seem expensive though, too expensive for an internet connection, besides, it wont improve your latency in games that much.

check if there is something called "ClearWire" in your area, looks pretty good, its basically a large wireless network, your modem is a specail repeater so it can pick up a signal from a main tower, miles away, and its not that expensive.

Also I see a option for a static IP for a extra $10 a month. What exactly is this? Sorry no real experience with high speed anything cause i've always lived outside of coverage areas. The only time I could of had it I couldn't afford it.

thats for servers for the most part, dont worry about it.

I think you mis understood me on the 566mb thing rudster. I would actually have 17gigs to use over a 30 day period. I just divided the numbers and said that would be about what I could use in a day. I could download 5gigs in one day. But then i'd only have 12gigs for the rest of the month.

I dunno I think I may do some local calling around with some of these installers. I've been skimming through 17 pages of bad reviews. God I just wish I could get DSL or Cable.

I get in the mood to order it then I read stuff like this

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~9/id_~4917/forum_id_~172

You will be fine for gaming, however the latency of satellite internet makes gaming on it worse than 56k.

You will be fine for gaming, however the latency of satellite internet makes gaming on it worse than 56k.

which i think is the main reason he wants it, although downloading large files\watching vids comes in handy most of the time.

I should clarify what I said, the download and upload amount will be fine for gaming, however due to the high latency virtually all games will be unplayble. Good luck playing counter-strike with 300+ ping.

do u have at&t verison or sprint in your area?
cuz you can get highspeed net from them 40 bucks a month unlimited
for a a laptop card slot

i have no idea wat i get for bandwith but i no its a LOT
i mean i dont even no if i have a limit and if i did then i would b WAY past cus this month i have used my 360s wireless WAY too much
but if i where u i would move :D
But u dont even have DSL in ur area or Dial up (WHERE DO U LIVE??!?!?!)
but seriously i would go HughesNets
but then again its nothing like having fiber :D

Look into getting wireless internet. My grandparents live out in Lordsburg, NM, and they can get a 11mb wireless connection. It's routed from Tucson over a fiber line, and goes with the phone cables, providing broadband to the town. It's much better latency than satellite, but not as fast.
I had the chance to use Satellite, and I absolutely hated it. Hughes Net to be specific. The download rate started around 300kb/s, then steadily dropped until it was around 10kb/s. After 10 minutes of downloading, the whole satellite modem/router combo just FLAT OUT DIED.
I would honestly look into getting some sort of other version of broadband, even if it's something like ISDN or Wireless.

Back
Top Bottom