In abit of a situation...

celegorm hinted that I might be able to help, I did work for a firm of solicitors here on the Isle of Wight, but that was for 4 years part-time up to 1996, & a lot has changed in law regarding situations like this, yes the police forces all over England are strapped for cash, the most glaring difference is that a bobby on the beat is a rare sight indeed, I sometimes wonder if they have legs nowadays, only last week I saw someone knocked off their bike as a police car slowly passed by, they must have seen it happen, but they didn't stop, they act like the two coppers in "The Last of the summer wine" who do their best not to see any trouble, but back to your predicament, I'm afraid I can't help, as much as I'd like to Steff, can't your boyfriend help you out, perhaps with a loan to at least get your car out of the police pound?, just an idea, [don't be too proud to ask him!]

The Police have evolved as has our legal system.

The Witchcraft Act is generally no longer used for one thing.

As far as insurance goes, you have no option. Your car is a writeoff and, as such, the Police are obliged to return it to you so that you can deal with it. Your car is not roadworthy and most likely never will be.

And if you will read that rambling statement again you will see immediately that Brookfield has offered no advice whatsoever. If you want to see Police on the beat, come to London. There are literally thousands of them, with assault rifles and everything.

the police dont have a clue what they are doing.. so they wont catch the morons who took the car..

insurance companies are just out to screw young people out of as much money as possible (having two non fault clamis puts my policy up by £500($1000)), which i cant see as being fair to be honest..

sorry that happened to you.. but with the systems in this country.. your screwed.. your prolly going to have to claim off your insurance, and pay to get your car out..

you're in a tight situation that's for sure. I would have almost suggested that you should have refused for them to take your car but that would have certainly meant they could charge you for obstruction of justice. The only way you're going to be covered is if theft coverage was included in your insurance before this all happened (which sounds like you don't have it) and I hope you at least made a police report the moment you knew your car was stolen.
The reason your insurance company is telling you that you need to find the driver who stole and crashed your car is so you can sue him/her. Chances are you won't be able the find the culprit unless you're lucky enough that a witness steps forward. It might be a good idea to post flyers around the accident scene and where the car was stolen asking if anyone had seen the person and to give you a call if they have any information.
Aside from that, you might be out of luck in this situation. You may have to foot the bill on this one.

I was also just thinking...you're damn lucky that person didn't kill anyone with your car. That would have been some serious s***!

The Police have evolved as has our legal system.

The Witchcraft Act is generally no longer used for one thing.

As far as insurance goes, you have no option. Your car is a writeoff and, as such, the Police are obliged to return it to you so that you can deal with it. Your car is not roadworthy and most likely never will be.

And if you will read that rambling statement again you will see immediately that Brookfield has offered no advice whatsoever. If you want to see Police on the beat, come to London. There are literally thousands of them, with assault rifles and everything.
Thanks for nothing, I've just replied to your post with the videos of Dad's Army etc & thanking you, now I wish that I hadn't, you're impossible do you know that?

Well, this weekend my boyfriend was on leave from the army. We ended up going out on a night out blah blah anyway the early hours of sunday morning my car got stolen (my car was a K reg nissan micra) to cut a long story short who ever took it went into a 2 year old punto caved all the wing of the punto aswell as writeing my car off. So the police said they were going to take my car for evidence which I said I didnt want as I cant afford the impound fees (I'm on £80 a week) so they said their would be a chance they wouldnt charge me, so they took the car. Now they are saying I have to pay £150 to get it out aswell as £12 a day for how ever long its in the impound. My insurance is saying if they dont find who it was, then we are liable for what happend, so my insurance is going to go ski high and I'm going to loose 2 years no claims bonus and paying for something I didnt do??? How do the goverment think this is fair??? I'm stumped to find another way around this without making a claim, any ideas?

this idea looks good on paper dont know if it will work in real life though :p

ok buy a new car, and insurance it with a different insurace company, and get a rate that is locked, THEN report the claim to your other insurance company and cancel the insurance saying "i no longer will be able to afford a car" since your rate is locked your other insurance wont be able to rise your rate, just your claim fee, now just dont let something happen to the new car :D

You should be able to appeal, because it was obviosley not your fault. Talk to a soliciter!

ok buy a new car, and insurance it with a different insurace company, and get a rate that is locked, THEN report the claim to your other insurance company and cancel the insurance saying "i no longer will be able to afford a car" since your rate is locked your other insurance wont be able to rise your rate, just your claim fee, now just dont let something happen to the new car :D

Haha, because we can all just afford to go out, buy a new car and insure it..

You should be able to appeal, because it was obviosley not your fault. Talk to a soliciter!

Haha, because we can all just afford to go out, buy a new car and insure it..

well if you dont have to make a down payment and you can get your insurance money too. also im not talking a brand new car, you can get a decent car for 2000-3000$ in the US

Hmm, didn't your boyfriend get you a new car, Steff? What's up with the insurance on that car?

My insurance only went up by £7 pound a month on my new car, were not claiming on the insurance anymore as the police told us that we didnt have to pay the impound fees over the phone and we know that their phone calls are logged and are demanding for them to let us have a copy, as for the car my car hit they can sod off claiming on my insurance haha whoever was driving my car wasnt insurerd on it so they cant claim right? They also have no proof that it was my car that hit theirs, so hopefully things should be sorted soon.

It doesn't work like that in the UK, you have the legal obligation to declare any claims that have been made against the insurance. Also it will be more then likely that the third party, i.e. the other person whose car was smashed into, will make a claim against Steff's insurance. If she turns round and says she has no insurance then she is breaking the law.

Therefore no matter what company she will go to, she has to declare, if she doesn't then her insurance will be not be valid.

There is no scope for appeal here mate, as there is no legal option. Unfortunately because it was Steff's car, she will be held liable for all the damage caused, both to her car and the other persons. If in the event that they did catch the individual, all that can be brought against them is criminal damages and theft of the car.

Back
Top Bottom