NEED HELP - Motherboard Issue?

Rippy087

Baseband Member
I know that I wrote a lot but I am being concise, please read it if you think you will be able to help me!!!

I have a pretty high end system (750watt PSU so that's not the problem), I'll edit this when I get home and give you specifics but here is my problem:

Monitor randomly goes into power saving mode - Music keeps playing while it does this until the song ends, then music stops playing (doesn't go to next song, so it is more than just a monitor connection). Sometimes it randomly 'fixes' itself, it just flickers back and forth a few times, sometimes it doesn't and I need to restart my computer. All the cables are correctly attached to and from my monitor, I built this computer about ten months ago.

After restarting my computer it either:
A) Screen artifacts on the bios screen (flickering, random colors, letters and numbers phase in and out (appear where they shouldn't, looks like someone scrambled my boot screens)), artifacts while loading to windows (horizontal blue, yellow, green, and white lines), and then 'power saves' again before loading windows fully. Windows does not load.
B) Screen artifacts on the bios screen (flickering, random colors, letters and numbers phase in and out), artifacts while loading to windows (horizontal blue, yellow, green, and white lines), and then loads to windows. Windows works and loads normally, then the problem repeats itself at some later time (next day, same day, whenever)
C) Loads normally and works normally. Then the problem repeats itself at some later time (next day, same day, whenever).
***The artifacts come in various degrees, from two flickering letters on the screen (always the same two letters) to complete artifacts on the screen so that I cannot see anything***
***I have photos of my screen with the artifacts, I can upload them when I get home***

The problem appears to come in "groups". My computer may work for a full day or I might have the problem ten times during one day. Sometimes I need to restart my computer over five times to get it to load correctly.

What I have tried:
A) Installed new motherboard bios
B) Installed new video card drivers
C) Disconnected unneeded peripherals from mobo (card reader, sound card)
D) Made sure everything is connected tightly to the motherboard and PSU
E) Swapped out video cables going from the video card to the monitor
F) Changed my antivirus software (thought this mighta been this because problems started at about the same time I got my old one)

There is a two digit ## display on my motherboard that shows numbers in yellow. While my computer is starting up, it displays random numbers like 12, 42, 66, 31, 88, 94, 96, 82 in no apparent order untill the display reads FF. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem or not.

This problem started AFTER I did a complete system reinstall (windows whipe and everything, due to viruses my bro accidentally put on my computer). Everything worked perfectly before.

If you have any ideas as to what the problem would be PLEASE tell me, I will try anything at this point, I have been living with this for about a month but it's finally getting to me. It happens completely randomly.

So from what I gather:
A) Not video card
B) Not PSU

I will run diagnostics tests when I get home.

Thank you,
Jake

hmmmmmmmm.

have you tried a different video card ? or using the onboard if you have it ?

it seems to me that the problem is definately with the video card.

a friend of mine had a problem where her monitor would sort of go into standby then not come back on at all until reboot but none of the other symtoms lucyk enough all we had to do was update the driver but you said you have done that so ....

The video card does seem like the obvious choice, except for the fact that my music also cuts out when the screen goes into power saving mode. I will install new video card drivers and mobo drivers when I get home again to see if that fixes the problem.

Anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks,
Jake

Whilst you did indeed type a fair bit you left out some important details:

Mobo manufacturer & model
Ram type, quantity, manufacturer & model
CPU manufacturer & model
Video card manufacturer, model & driver version
PSU manufacturer & model (amps on the 12v rail(s))
Temperatures for all hardware that is monitorable
Ambient room temperature
Operating system

You get the idea ;)

:D

Mobo manufacturer & model: nforce 680i SLI by nvidia
Ram type, quantity, manufacturer & model: Vitesta DDR2800
CPU manufacturer & model: Intel core 2 duo e6600
Video card manufacturer, model & driver version: 7600gs 512mb-128bit DDR2PCIE (512mc)
PSU manufacturer & model (amps on the 12v rail(s)): Thermaltake Toughpower 750W (I'd have to take it out to check the 12c rails?)
Temperatures for all hardware that is monitorable: I've really never monitored temperatures for anything, I know that is not good. Could you tell me how to check the temperatures?
Ambient room temperature: Fluctuates a LOT, from like 65F to 90F
Operating system: Windows XP Home

Anyone have any new ideas???

Hope this helps
Thanks,
Jake

Just because you've tried different drivers, doesn't mean that the card is not the problem.

But on Nvidia Boards, FF Is the boot command for post. That is normal, as well as all the other "Random" numbers.

If this happened after a re-install of windows, back everything up, and try again. If it still like this, then there would be something hardware wrong. Something just doest add up that this would start AFTER a reinstall... Try it again, see what that gives.

...... Video card manufacturer, model & driver version: 7600gs 512mb-128bit DDR2PCIE (512mc)
PSU manufacturer & model (amps on the 12v rail(s)): Thermaltake Toughpower 750W (I'd have to take it out to check the 12c rails?)
Temperatures for all hardware that is monitorable: I've really never monitored temperatures for anything, I know that is not good. Could you tell me how to check the temperatures?
What driver version are you running on your 7600gs?

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W should be well and truely sufficient to run your pc, to check the 12v rail(s) use a multimeter. If you're not proficient at taking readings from live equipment do not attempt this and for now we'll assume it is OK.

On your m/board disk there should have been some sort of monitoring software, but in case you do not have anything your gpu can be monitored from the NVIDIA control panel, CoreTemp, Everest or any number of other freeware apps will monitor your cpu etc.

How is your case airflow? Any dust build up in your fans, heatsinks, case etc? When was the last time you cleaned them out?

The symtoms you have described (artifacts etc) are usually caused by a couple of factors i.e. heat and/or overclocking, the "power saves" you describe may be throttling due to excessive heat.

Until we have some temperature information anything further would be conjecture.

From my DXDiag file:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7600 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0392&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6218 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/29/2007 01:43:00, 5690624 bytes

Core temperatures are fluctuating between 56 and 57*C while I am Idle I guess? I'm only running iTunes and Internet Explorer right now.

The computer is NOT overclocked at all.
And yea, I don't feel comfortable taking the volt readings right now.

EDIT: I just installed the newest drivers for my video card, the ones I had were out of date, I will let you know if the problem persists very shortly.

EDIT: Whenever I try to go into 'Monitor Temperature Levels' in NVIDIA Control Panel, the program just freezes instantly. I had to download 'CoreTemp' to get my temperatures.

Thanks,
Jake

Still have the problem, any ideas anyone??? If no one has any ideas, I will try a complete reinstall again sometime this week.

Thanks,
Jake

Did you try another video card? if it artifacts in the bios.. I can't think of what else would do it.. The bios is the bios, the software on your pc has little to no influence over what happens there.

Try and find another video card for testing.

Back
Top Bottom