ibm recovery password lost

brianmay27

Solid State Member
ok. here is the problem. our compiny has laptops that they reuse and pass one from one to the next. the first person has set there password to be the ibm recovery password. and we do not know what it is. We have access to admin. but it is not that password. is there anyway we can delete it or get pass it?

is that all the choces? there is no file that you can delete? i mean there has to be. how else you restore it if you cant rembore password at all

don't know if its possible on a laptop but maybe you can use jumpers or maybe reset the CMOS ?

If it's before Windows loads, the easiest thing would be to pop out the battery for a minute. Make sure you remove the battery and AC!

what kinda password is it ?

power on password ?

bios password ?

windows password ?

it sounds like a windows password to me and you said you have access to admin account so go into admin and go user accounts and delete the password off of the normal account ?

i dont see the complication ?

ok. here is the problem. our compiny has laptops that they reuse and pass one from one to the next. the first person has set there password to be the ibm recovery password. and we do not know what it is. We have access to admin. but it is not that password. is there anyway we can delete it or get pass it?
Brian, I'm sorry to ask this but can you confirm to me in some way that yours is a genuine enquiry, please don't be offended by this, sometimes young members try to bypass their school or college's PC illegally, & ask us, & of course we refuse, now I presume you're aged around 27 [your username sorta gives this away] so that won't have anything to do with it, so can you help please?, um, you're not the Brian May I guess?, lol.

I totally understand. i am actually 15 :eek:. also before i go on. this is weird. i know when i popped it in i was astonished to find it is stored on the hard drive. We tried to change the password in the admin but it pops up saying you need the old password to change it in admin! but to verify it is not my school i want to reformat... this is hard. i will try to give you info. i work at Coghead as a "jr" IT. It is a ibm thinkpad and we cant get the password. i dont know how/what to put to verify that i am not hacking my school. But i would not do that to my school. i will answer anything you want me to answer
also
what kinda password is it ?

power on password ?

bios password ?

windows password ?

it sounds like a windows password to me and you said you have access to admin account so go into admin and go user accounts and delete the password off of the normal account ?

i dont see the complication ?
It is a recovery password. we made a cd from the computer to restore it and when it loads it runs this cmd and promps for the password. it is not the admin password but it is the users' password that had the computer before. the only hint is white car. if you chane the users password. a ibm thing comes up asking for the old password and the new.

I totally understand. i am actually 15 :eek:. also before i go on. this is weird. i know when i popped it in i was astonished to find it is stored on the hard drive. We tried to change the password in the admin but it pops up saying you need the old password to change it in admin! but to verify it is not my school i want to reformat... this is hard. i will try to give you info. i work at Coghead as a "jr" IT. It is a ibm thinkpad and we cant get the password. i dont know how/what to put to verify that i am not hacking my school. But i would not do that to my school. i will answer anything you want me to answer
also

It is a recovery password. we made a cd from the computer to restore it and when it loads it runs this cmd and promps for the password. it is not the admin password but it is the users' password that had the computer before. the only hint is white car. if you chane the users password. a ibm thing comes up asking for the old password and the new.
Well, if it helps, I believe you, but you now have to convince them, my advice is to insist that you that you see your No 1 boss face to face, don't be dissuaded by your head of department, when I was the head of a large organisation I adopted an open door policy [as I do here incidentally] Iwould see any member of staff, from our ten cleaners right on up to the highest, I believe it's right to do this, also I sacked plenty over the years, but believe me they well deserved it!!

Back
Top Bottom