In abit of a situation...

Steff

Daemon Poster
Well, this weekend my boyfriend was on leave from the army. We ended up going out on a night out blah blah anyway the early hours of sunday morning my car got stolen (my car was a K reg nissan micra) to cut a long story short who ever took it went into a 2 year old punto caved all the wing of the punto aswell as writeing my car off. So the police said they were going to take my car for evidence which I said I didnt want as I cant afford the impound fees (I'm on £80 a week) so they said their would be a chance they wouldnt charge me, so they took the car. Now they are saying I have to pay £150 to get it out aswell as £12 a day for how ever long its in the impound. My insurance is saying if they dont find who it was, then we are liable for what happend, so my insurance is going to go ski high and I'm going to loose 2 years no claims bonus and paying for something I didnt do??? How do the goverment think this is fair??? I'm stumped to find another way around this without making a claim, any ideas?

Wow, that's messed up. You would think since the police took your car as evidence that they would take care of it. It's not like you broke the law where it needed to be impounded.

I'd be interested to hear what Maurice has to say. If I remember correctly, he does have experience with your legal system (working for it guys, not having to be on the other side).

Unfortunately the insurance laws are pretty much messed up.

If they don't track down the people who stole it, or even if they do there is a good chance that they won't be insured anyway.

The only option as far as I am aware to either meet all the costs out of your own pocket, which will most likely be considerable or claim through the insurance, again losing your insurance.

Now as far as I am aware and on this part of I could be wrong, is that if they do find the person responsible, then you can claim from them for damages, however whether you would get anything back from them, I don't know. The reason that the police are charging you impound fees is two fold, one they are money hungry ****** and two, it is in case that you have done it, and are just saying that it was stolen to get away with no costs.

You could also get advice from Citizens Advice Bureau, who will be able to advise you. I will have a bit of a scout around later for the information but am at work right now.

Sorry to hear about the situation, and yes its a cold hearted system...

Thanks glasseyeuk, our system is ALL wrong, its like if you get your house broken into your only alowed to take 'APPROPRIATE' action, I think once youve enterd someone elses property without being invited you loose your human rights straight away, if someone was in my house Id get a bat out straight away!

Just realy unfair im getting all the blame for something some little shits did :(

Thanks glasseyeuk, our system is ALL wrong, its like if you get your house broken into your only alowed to take 'APPROPRIATE' action, I think once youve enterd someone elses property without being invited you loose your human rights straight away, if someone was in my house Id get a bat out straight away!

Just realy unfair im getting all the blame for something some little shits did :(

yeah the government says apropriate action but dosent define what they deem as apropriate either so you dont know

But anyway getting back on topic , yeah the legal system is messed up , even if you do track this guy down the repayment from him will be something stupid like £10 a month and in the long run not worth it

I dont fully understand how this stuff works however i would do as glasseye said and speak with the citizens advice bureu as they will know yout situation

celegorm hinted that I might be able to help, I did work for a firm of solicitors here on the Isle of Wight, but that was for 4 years part-time up to 1996, & a lot has changed in law regarding situations like this, yes the police forces all over England are strapped for cash, the most glaring difference is that a bobby on the beat is a rare sight indeed, I sometimes wonder if they have legs nowadays, only last week I saw someone knocked off their bike as a police car slowly passed by, they must have seen it happen, but they didn't stop, they act like the two coppers in "The Last of the summer wine" who do their best not to see any trouble, but back to your predicament, I'm afraid I can't help, as much as I'd like to Steff, can't your boyfriend help you out, perhaps with a loan to at least get your car out of the police pound?, just an idea, [don't be too proud to ask him!]

wow sorry steff...that sucks, insurance laws are really messed up...they will hunt for any reason not to pay a claim. i'm not from the u.k so i'm not sure who you could talk to but good luck, but hey on the bright side at least you got your car back! alot of folks never get to see theirs again..

I havent got my car back yet :p it isnt road legal anyway :( As for my boyfriend, he spend £995 on a new car for me on sunday straight after my car was pinched so that is out of the question, its sad really because they didnt get very far with my car yet I'm left with all this crap to deal with..

That really sucks Steff, I feel for you, I know if that had been me in the same situation Id be pretty pissed off, I would have told the coppers to keep my car after all they took away, I hope it all gets sorted real soon at no cost to you other than inconvenience and a bucket load of stress.

I havent got my car back yet :p it isnt road legal anyway :( As for my boyfriend, he spend £995 on a new car for me on sunday straight after my car was pinched so that is out of the question, its sad really because they didnt get very far with my car yet I'm left with all this crap to deal with..
So happy that he did help you out, serious advice; hang on to to him!!

Back
Top Bottom