WTF is wrong with CF?

This forum has changed since I last joined, and I prefered it how it was.
There was no tolerance for swearing, and no tolerance for shorted english. It was either full, or none, because I never use shortened english in forums, like txt language.

Shortened english on forums to me looks really unprofessional.

Anyhow, I wonder if there was a way to block a certain member from a thread. That way, the thread could stay open, but the one causing trouble would be blocked from it.

Sorry Kage but I don't agree...it's always been like this...

there has always been members here who do nothing but get off on flaming...it's the main reason I have never bothered to do anything but lurk ( with the occasional post )...

I'm twice as old as most people here...I'm a grandfather of three...I can't be bothered playing schoolyard pissin' matches.

when I first joined it looked like a bunch of 12 year olds arguing over who's is bigger. ;)

There was no tolerance for swearing, and no tolerance for shorted english. It was either full, or none, because I never use shortened english in forums, like txt language.

Anyhow, I wonder if there was a way to block a certain member from a thread. That way, the thread could stay open, but the one causing trouble would be blocked from it.
yes there is, its called banning the member :)
if members mis behave several times in threads then just ban them. its simple. after all it sounds like you want this forum to be professional. so do i, except i dont mind a bit of short hand and swaring, only a bit though.

IMO, most of what members [& a mod] are right, I've said this once, & I say it again, I don't take joy in closing threads, regardless of what some of you seem to think, I enjoy good lively discussions, but sadly they all too frequently devolve into furious arguments.
Those of you who have been members say, for longer than a year, think back please, we never had the level of dsrupted threads as we are experiencing nowadays, did we?

It seems like you get joy out of closing everything and accusing it to be illegal. Happens alot.

The problem dude_se isn't peculiar to this forum...it seems to be more to do with the ages and maturity of the members...when you have a forum with a large percentage under the age of 25 you get more flames...

on the forum I normally do post there is never flaming...none...it never gets that far...but the forum also caters mostly to an older crowd...over 25...many 40 and up...

the only solution is to either cater to an older crowd or let the mods do their job. ;)

I agree. The forum was (at least) a little better first when I joined but the community seems to have changed lately.

I think if the member is causing problems in a certain thread, they should be banned from the entire forum, not just that thread.

I agree. I have been doing my best to use proper grammar and what not, because I used to be in that phase, and I now save it for IM. I will still use proper abbriviations for things such as IM, but not others like lmao. (well....sometimes I still do, depends on the thread :)) The social lounge is where things should be more relaxed, and the technical sections (computer general, OS, network etc.) should be given a professional enviornment by the members. That is my thought on that peice.

dude_se said:
yes there is, its called banning the member:)
if members mis behave several times in threads then just ban them. its simple.
I would say that would be harsh. or at least perminate ban would be. A warning and then a day or two ban would be sufficent if you were to ask me. Then go on from there.

Some good posts today, most of you are now agreeing that standards have slipped compared to past history, OK. I hold my hands up to falling by the wayside at times, but only because I got very frustrated, remember UK31337, a mod who was demoted to Guru in January this year, eventually PBd a little later?, he was way over the top & a little weird.
It must be coincidence, but since then it's been a free-for-all silly season with some members seemingly hell-bent to destroy each & every decent thread topic, why? I have no explanation except one that may or may not have any any feasable connection, perhaps it's the far bigger global stresses of the world today, I don't know but something is doing it, that's for sure!, someone said that some of the younger element among us seem to be more volatile, one member complained that I use too many commas, I probably do but why should that be an issue, some members can't spell or use lower case instead of capitals, I know it looks wrong, but we're all different, & in a cross-section of the community like CF, there are bound to be variances.
Now this forum is coming together, commonsense is beginning to prevail, so let's not let a few bad eggs spoil this great CF community of ours!

BTW, I've used around 16 commas here, "you know who" is probably frothing at the mouth as we speak & counting them to see if I lied [chuckle]

Some good posts today, most of you are now agreeing that standards have slipped compared to past history, OK. I hold my hands up to falling by the wayside at times, but only because I got very frustrated, remember UK31337, a mod who was demoted to Guru in January this year, eventually PBd a little later?, he was way over the top & a little weird.
It must be coincidence, but since then it's been a free-for-all silly season with some members seemingly hell-bent to destroy each & every decent thread topic, why? I have no explanation except one that may or may not have any any feasable connection, perhaps it's the far bigger global stresses of the world today, I don't know but something is doing it, that's for sure!, someone said that some of the younger element among us seem to be more volatile, one member complained that I use too many commas, I probably do but why should that be an issue, some members can't spell or use lower case instead of capitals, I know it looks wrong, but we're all different, & in a cross-section of the community like CF, there are bound to be variances.
Now this forum is coming together, commonsense is beginning to prevail, so let's not let a few bad eggs spoil this great CF community of ours!

BTW, I've used around 16 commas here, "you know who" is probably frothing at the mouth as we speak & counting them to see if I lied [chuckle]
At least excessive use of commas is better than having grammar so bad that you can't even read the post.

Back
Top Bottom