So I'm interviewing for a job...

Warcrime

Beta member
So I'm interviewing for a job that I have previously been denied for. They called me for a second interview after a number of months. I was previously denied for having a poor technical interview with them. I'm no idiot when it comes to hardware/software repair and diagnosis, but some of the questions were phrased in a way that I had not seen before. If you can, please try and help me formulate some answers for the following questions, and keep in mind that this is general phone tech support where no specific software is available to me to solve the issues:

1. List the first 5 steps you would take to diagnose a virus.
2. List the first 5 steps you would take to clear a computer of a virus.
3. If a customer claims that his Internet Explorer is crashing or freezing everytime he opens it, list the first 5 steps you would take to diagnose the problem.
4. What is the purpose of releasing and renewing an IP address? (I know what this does, but I'd like to find a stronger answer)

That is the thing I hate about tech support.

You can take just about any PC, figure out what's wrong just by doing what you do, and then fix it.

but these employers demand exact answers for specific scenarios...

4 I might be able to help with:
The purpose of releasing and renewing an IP address would be to flush any cached DHCP settings, and tell DHCP to retrieve an IP again.

wow they are tricky.

i mean you could probably do it if you had the ocmputer infront of you but explaining it is another thing.

umm
2.)

1. run a virus scan
2. run a virus scan in safe mode
3. try find a program the virus is linked to and uninstall it
4. if you have the name of the virus try a search for it and delete it manually
5. well if it hasnt gone by this point then you pretty screwed lol :?

1) virus scan
2) virus scan, general cleanup, etc
3) re install, virus check, temp file cleanup,
4) renews ip address, so fixes problems with ip conficts as the dhcp assigns a new one,

those are just some general points. pretty obvious. you just need to develop them and get a bit more in depth

Back
Top Bottom