Serious Problem with 8800 GTS

tomirlik

In Runtime
About half a year ago I bought a Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb gpu, expecting to be able to crank my settings to the max or close on CS:S or WoW and be able to get a high frame rate. However, for every game I played, I notice that my frames were highest at 60-90 and very often fell to 30 and below when there were a lot of people on a server or simply many characters on screen, and that's without any Antialiasing or Anisotropic filtering. I just accepted this performance, thinking thats the way it runs, but I've always wondered whether something was preventing my card from fully doing its job. I was backed by this statement as many people online who have 7800s or 7950s have been getting much better frames at the highest settings, and were surprised at my problem when I told them my specs.

I seriously don't know what to do. I installed the latest firmware from the Nvidia website this weekend just in case, but still nothing. My specs are below (the Pentium-D is a slightly older dual core processor than the Core 2 Duos), and my power supply is 600W and recommended for my card (SLI) even, so any advice is appreciated. I'm just desperate to get my games running the way they should be. Thanks.

Hrm try a different GPU? Maybe a GPU problem or try a different FPS client

thats weird - u have a very powerful GPU and a moderately-powerful CPU. thats strange

shut off AA and see how it is. seriously Source runs great on a mid-level 7-series on a ghetto Pentium 4 CPU, i dont see why urs sucks

upgrade ur drivers too, often times those kill gameplay

The 8800 series cards are having FPS drop issues, I have it with every driver I use except for 158.22 in XP. In BF2 I get these random FPS drops to 40 or lower and I have to alt+tab out to get rid of it, only for it to come back seconds later.

Latest doesn't mean the best. I like the 158.22 drivers, if your on XP.

GPU's are limited by your CPU so upgrading that could help. But with those games it shouldn't be that bad. Could also help to do a full computer clean up and Defrag and make sure nothing is running in background. One time I had one program restricting my resources to the point that nothing ran at full capacity.

The 8800 series cards are having FPS drop issues, I have it with every driver I use except for 158.22 in XP. In BF2 I get these random FPS drops to 40 or lower and I have to alt+tab out to get rid of it, only for it to come back seconds later.
It sounds like you have the memory hole that the GTS cards have been having. What you do when you alt + tab out is force the memory to be cleared and the textures to be rewritten to the memory. Until your memory gets full again because the GPU keeps dumping textures into it. Aparantly NVidia is working on a forceware update to fix it that will be out before the end of september.

Back
Top Bottom