My college using pirated software - what can I do?

Ok guys, heres the situation. I came back to my college from the summer holiday and my year was the first to have access to the school network. I discovered these keys a few hours after I had been on the system so I wouldn't of thought that a pupil could of sent the serial to a warez site.

I'm going to be in college tomorrow so i'll do some more searching.

I know that many people use pirate software and quite possibly someone typing this also has done. The thing is though, this is in a COLLEGE. Not for a single home user, for 1500+ students to use. This is what makes me think that IF they are using pirate software, i'm going to report it immediately.

I know that many people use pirate software and quite possibly someone typing this also has done. The thing is though, this is in a COLLEGE. Not for a single home user, for 1500+ students to use. This is what makes me think that IF they are using pirate software, i'm going to report it immediately.

oh that made me laugh when i saw that - so its not ok for a college who caters for 1500+ students to use pirated software - and yet the millions of "single" users should be allowed to ... lmao sorry, but your one hell of a hypocrite if your going to rid the world of pirated software please start with those who use it for profit - not an insitution giving you and thousands of others an education - if you do i hope your conscience weights on your fo the rest of your life...all for the sake of a few dollars - how greedy.

For goodness sake! It doesn't matter about the money, it's just that the college is using illegal software. I know it is a worldwide thing and millions do it but a college for goodness sake. What kind of an example does it give?

What does it matter? it gives you an education right? its not their fault they cant get the money they need for software its not killing anyone - hell - worst thing thats happening is that Microsoft looses out on maybe a few hundred $'s - not the end of the world

Flame war waiting to happen?

I hope not. If it does, this is gone.

But I don't think it's anything to worry about. Lots of programs leave setup.exe's in their program folder, and Many people save the originals in case a reinstall is needed (ever hear of backing up?). Having a txt file of the serial keys wasn't smart, but that doesn't make it the sure sign that it's illegal either. Could be a way of having a comptuerized copy of it incase the building catches fire and destroys the real paper key. Most norton installs have a serial.txt files if the user so wishes, so does that make their copies illegal.

you need much much more proof.

Or better yet steal all there keys and use them yourself lol. On a side note I have never been all for big companies making millions of dollars. People who make $40000 a year complain all the time about pirating but they are just donating there hard earned cash to some big wig 100 Billion dollar company. What about the poor people who can't afford the $300 programs or heck what about the families who can't afford a $20-30 DVD. Pirating is here to stay and I support it. If your rich and the money is nothing to you then so be it, go buy the damn overpriced software. But don't complain when some one else pirates it. A school doing it is not a big deal, just get your education and get a good job.

Ok just because they have serials on the servers does not mean they are pirated copies. Their is a type of licencing that lets you use one serial on seveal machines legally. I forgot what it is called ATM. Research this kind of thing before making the accusation as some have mentioned. You are really in thin ice here IMO.

Ok just because they have serials on the servers does not mean they are pirated copies. Their is a type of licencing that lets you use one serial on seveal machines legally. I forgot what it is called ATM. Research this kind of thing before making the accusation as some have mentioned. You are really in thin ice here IMO.

Pretty much what I said :)

And at least in Microsoft's case, it's Volume license Agreement.

Back
Top Bottom