System Stability...not very stable huh? (Fixed I think :D)

Sorry for the new reply, but I had too much in the last post to comment upon really.

Started overclocking the CPU, though going to go to bed now I think.

Clocks are at 280mhz x 9, making it run at 2520.03mhz so far.
RAM is running also at 1:1:1 to the CPU, so its fully in sync? That a good thing then?

Its stable anyhow, after 5 minutes of Everest Stress Test :)

I'll carry on up. Anything I should be wary of when it comes to the RAM? For instance, when I should up the voltage? Its at 2.0 now, plus how far my 800mhz RAM would actually boot at?

EDIT:

300X9 - Now at 2700.05mhz. Haven't had to do anything else, except raise FSB, as memory is still at 1:1:1 to the CPU.

Strangely though, temps haven't gone up at all, and Speed Step isn't on...

Anyhow:

3DMark Score 12090 3DMarks (Massive increase over the 10,000 something I was getting before!)
SM 2.0 Score 5009 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4880 Marks
CPU Score 4299 Marks

So far!
I know 3D Mark doesn't mean anything, but it does while overclocking

EDIT 2:

333x9 = 2997Mhz - 1:1:1 ratio to CPU.
I tried relaxing timings, and even tried not relaxing timings, and RAM failed to post, though I haven't tried upping voltages more yet.

Strangely still, during the RAM check, it kept going up and up. I stopped it at 4GB's, thinking wait...I have 2...

Temps still haven't gone up... Core Temp is still saying below 40 degrees C idle for all cores...

If I could reach 3.6GHZ, which I doubt somehow, I could run at 1:1:1 timings, and get my full 800mhz, and shouldn't get RAM crashes, but I doubt I'll get that far

Did a stress test anyhow for 8 minutes, and then started another one up to take a screenshot:

stress2997.jpg

CPU fans at 1500rpm. Almost silent

EDIT:

Now running at 3060mhz - 340x9
Haven't increased voltages past stock yet, and things are stable. Temps have hardly gone up.
RAM is running 1:1:20 to the CPU, running at 816mhz (816's default running at standard clocks too)

EDIT 1000:

Got CPU now at 3200mhz.

Running at 8x multiplier, with a 400mhz external clock.
Reason I did this, is at this, RAM runs at 800mhz standard clocks at 1:1:1.

Strangely though, Core Temp reads it as a 450mhz external clock, running at 3600. Yet, thats not what I set!

CPU voltage is still standard :)

Clocks are at 280mhz x 9, making it run at 2520.03mhz so far.
RAM is running also at 1:1:1 to the CPU, so its fully in sync? That a good thing then?
Running ram at 1:1 with the FSB means you're overclocking the ram at the same time as the cpu when you raise the FSB, using a divider means your ram runs at its rated speed (or speed selected in the bios) regardless of the cpu overclock.

If you are getting post failure on boot as you have stated then there are several options to try.

1/. raise the ram voltage
2/. relax the timings
3/. if 2 & 3 don't help, run the ram at its rated speed/voltage using a divider

Your temps are looking good, now that you're at 3.2GHz oc that video card and run 3DMark06 ;)

I'm going to try 400mhz at 9x multiplier, but I don't know how much CPU voltage I'll need. I'm doing fine with the stock at the moment though, which has surprised me, and hitting 55 degrees C in Everest Stress Test.

I'll run 3DMARK now then.

If I overclock the RAM, since I can't always get it to 800mhz. Sometimes 1:1:1 = like 900 or even a 1000. Would I get better speeds that way? Or is it always best to run at default if possible?

I don't get why Core Temp is reading the CPU at 450mhz, at 3600mhz though. Thats worrying me a bit, because its not.

I'd start the cpu voltage at the same as you used for 3.2GHz.

Some ram oc's better than others, I guess it depends how you ram handles the ocing, if it is OK then why not.

.....I don't get why Core Temp is reading the CPU at 450mhz, at 3600mhz though. Thats worrying me a bit, because its not.
That's an 8 multiplier, so you got 3.6GHz then? booted fine? is it stable?

No, I'm running at 8x, with an FSB of 400mhz, yet Core temp is seeing it differently.
In BIOS, its definetly 8x with 400mhz...

If I could get to 400mhz at x9 though, I'll be very impressed, if I don't have to raise core voltage... doubt it, but I'll be trying that any minute.

You said I had a good VID, but I don't know how far it'll take me :p

Would it run cooler at 8x-450mhz, getting to 3600, than at 9x at 400?

As for RAM, would I get more speed running at a higher mhz on the RAM? or would it just slow down? Meaning, if I did get to 400mhz x9, should I run at 1:1:1 for 800mhz, or run it faster with for example 1:1:50? Or is that just slower? haha

Thanks for the help so far though. You've helped a lot!
I can't give you rep and thats annoying me!

..... should I run at 1:1:1 for 800mhz, or run it faster with for example 1:1:50? Or is that just slower? haha

Thanks for the help so far though. You've helped a lot!
I can't give you rep and thats annoying me!
What's with the 1:1:1 and the 1:1:50??

My FSB : DRAM ratio is only two digits, i.e. 1:1 or 2:3 etc, what is the third value representing in your ratio?

No worries with the helping mate, it was hard sitting here watching in the beginning when it wouldn't run but that's fixed so all is good. :D

Don't worry about the rep, it means nothing.

Haha, you'll probably see a post, saying I killed it soon :p
But, I don't think thats possible if I don't put the vcore too high, and I haven't moved it yet, so its all good.

EDIT:

Tried for 400mhz x9 to get 3.6GHZ at standard volts (knew it wasn't going to happen), and the Windows boot loader didn't even appear :p
Tried the voltage above that, and it still didn't boot.

I'm not sure how far I should try the voltages at to get it up and running, on my 9700.

I've decided maybe to keep it at 3.2 though for the time being. I think 55 degrees C for the PWM is enough... If I tried for anymore, I'd probably get into the 60's which would probably cause a lot of damage over time.

Anyhow:

3200mhz CPU clock : 8800GTS 640MB - 640-1060:

3DMark Score 12504 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 5075 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4923 Marks
CPU Score 5016 Marks

Back
Top Bottom