Intel UPDATE--New architecture after Penryn

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
....and we thought the 45nm Penryn is hot. There will be a major new change in the Intel architecture. The Core will be a thing of the past. Make way for "Nehalem" next year. Core 2 Duo, make room because you're headed out the door. It will still be using the 45nm process. Making a return here is get this: Hyper Threading!!! Haha, funny huh? I don't know if they will dub it Hyper Threading, but it will be very similar.

Nehalem will also introduce the first multi-level shared cache architecture that will allow the different cores on a processor to share data at the L1 and possibly L3 cache levels in addition to the current L2 cache sharing implemented on the Core architecture. This can allow for better data sharing between cores and increase performance for highly threaded applications.

The performance enhancement will allow CPUs with 8 cores to power down to just 2 or 4 cores in situations only needing those levels of performance. Talk about scaling!!!

Nehalem cores will be scalable and configurable and will include features such as variable size caches, differing interconnects as well as on-die memory controllers for the first time in an Intel processor. An optional high performance integrated graphics could be included on the same processor die as well!

Intel's summary is that Penryn would be ready this year and that we would see "production" of Nehalem in 2008 which usually indicates a late 2008 or 2009 time frame for delivery.

---------------------------------------

After Nehalem, Intel has plans for a new shrink derivative. They're going to 32nm process after that and it's nicknamed, "Westmere". No update to this yet, but Intel also plan on creating a brand new architecture AGAIN after the release of Westmere. This new architecture change is called, "Gesher" which is also using the 32nm design.

Talk about a peek into the future. More like within the next 4-years.

I haven't read anything yet from AMD since their upcoming release of Barcelona and Phenom. But I'm sure they have some top secret plans up their sleeves too.

OMG, I found something on AMD!!!

They're actually releasing a new Octo-Core in 2009!!!! It's for servers though so that's too bad. But before that, they want to integrate a new type of "fusion" technology. GPU and CPU combination (haha, I made a reply to this in another thread. If I remember where I put it in, I have to gloat a big, "I told you so", hehe. I knew it, that something like this may happen eventually. Even a couple of years ago, I always pondered on the CPU+GPU concept). It's on paper for now, but they'll most likely try to pull that off:

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9763693-37.html

Other than that, "Sandtiger" will be released in 2009. It's going to have 8 cores, made with 45 nanometer manufacturing technology. Sandtiger will not merely be two quad-core Barcelonas fused together--it'll be an entirely new octo-core CPU design. AMD is working on a DDR3 memory controller that will do Sandtiger justice. Sandtiger will utilize 'Direct Connect 2' technology, which will bring 4 Hypertransport links onto the new chip!!!!!!

Man, is this thread awesome or what?!?! It's like looking into the future. Yes, I'm a fortune teller.

With Intel and AMD stuffing cores into their CPU's, I hope the die shrinks are helping temperatures.

Oh....wait a minute, I forgot to include more. I got that info from this site:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/12945

"Bulldozer" CPU core, lol. What silly names. Look at their "Falcon" fusion CPUs. Looks promising as graphics are being integrated. Not completely though as the system still rely heavily on video cards, but it's a step in the right direction.

LOL, AMD RoadMAP!!!!

Barcelona: The code name given to AMD's upcoming quad-core Opteron processors, made using a 65-nanometer process. AMD plans to ship the first Barcelona chips next month, with the first servers based on the processors appearing on the market in September.

Bobcat: Code name for a future low-power CPU architecture for mobile devices such as ultramobile PCs and consumer electronics products. Will consume from 1 watt to 10 watts of power. Due in 2009.

Bulldozer: Code name for a CPU core designed for servers and clients that consumes from 10 watts to 100 watts of power. Set for release in 2009.

Eagle: Code name for an upcoming notebook chip package based on the Falcon processor. To ship in 2009.

Falcon: Code name for the first Fusion chip that will combine a CPU and graphics processor. Designed for laptops, Falcon will offer up to four Bulldozer cores. Due to ship in 2009.

Fusion: The code name for AMD processors that combine multiple components with the aim of lowering power consumption and improving performance. The first Fusion chips, called Falcon, will ship in 2009.

Griffin: Code name for an upcoming dual-core mobile processor. To ship in 2008.

Hardcastle: The code name given to upcoming chip packages designed for business users, including Perseus and Puma.

Leo: Code name for a desktop chip package based on the 45nm Phenom processor, which will offer 6MB of cache. Set for release in 2008.

Perseus: Upcoming desktop chip package designed for business users. To ship in 2008.

Phenom: The brand name for AMD's quad-core desktop processors, which are slated to start shipping during the fourth quarter of 2007.

Puma: Chip package for laptops based on the Griffin processor. To debut in 2008.

Ridgeback: Code name for AMD's 45nm desktop processors. Will include 6MB of cache. To be released in mid-2008.

Sandtiger: The code name for a family of server chips with eight to 16 cores that will be released in 2009. Will be produced using a 45nm process and include support for DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) memory. Due in 2009.

Shanghai: Code name for the 45nm successor to Barcelona. The quad-core Shanghai will offer some architectural improvements over Barcelona, as well as 6MB of cache. To be released in mid-2008.

Spider: Desktop chip package based on 65nm Phenom processors with 2MB of cache. To be released in 2007.

Mind boggling isn't it?!?!?!? Too bad I can't go back and change the thread title to "Intel and AMD Updates".

16 cores? Wow, seems like overkill now, but maybe by then we will have a use for all or most of the cores.

Back
Top Bottom