My college using pirated software - what can I do?

You can rat them out, but do also notice alot of schools keys get onto warez sites because its easy for students to find the CD keys.

I have never known a school to do this. Usually, schools have a lot of money due to gov. grants, and things like that. I would say, if the reward is HUGE and it has to be worth it, I do whatever it takes to get that money. It's all about the money, hehe. Then go to another school. If not, then screw it.

Exactly. More than likely the school has everything legit because not only do they have tons of money for programs like that, they also get it at a discount for being a teaching intitute. The CD key could easily have ended up on a warez site because if you found them then obviously some one else has.

Exactly. More than likely the school has everything legit because not only do they have tons of money for programs like that, they also get it at a discount for being a teaching intitute. The CD key could easily have ended up on a warez site because if you found them then obviously some one else has.

Discounts are pretty crappy for a goverment funded school, and they get piss poor money.

At my work, they're so cheap on getting license for antivirus software that they're resorting to Panda, lol. They use to use Norton Corporate software. Not anymore. Plus, they're using a lot of freeware now too :p.

Well, to what was said up there, you can use one copy and it be legal. The same stands for Windows XP as a whole. Schools can get a disk for XP or Office that you can use more than once on the same key...

They buy multiple licenses, that's it. I really don't think Microsoft will ship them 250 Office 2007 discs or 250 Windows XP discs for each workstation. At my work, I've never seen that many discs around even though we have tons of workstations.

Well, we image everything, lol. Everything is on one hard drive and we broadcast the image onto all the workstations :p.

Yeah, its just a license you can use multiple times, ghosted to as many workstations as you want.

my school has server 2003 on their server. didnt see a key with it though (i think). i wouldnt be too worried about this. it doesnt really prove anything.

Yeah, its just a license you can use multiple times, ghosted to as many workstations as you want.

With Windows XP and Below their called VLK, Volume License Key. You don't need to do the online activation with these, and you can use then unlimited (However, you are supposed to stay within what you bought)

Vista has a new key system called MAK / KMS

Back
Top Bottom