My college using pirated software - what can I do?

d2h

Solid State Member
Hi all, I have discovered that my college is using pirated software on it's computers (approx. 250 of them in total) with installation folders etc on one central server called "P:".

I found this out because at college, we cannot access "P:" by default in My Computer or even type it into the address bar because it is blocked. But, if you right click on one of the application icons on the desktop, click Find Target - it takes you there.

I found numerous folders containing Microsoft Office installations and a bunch of other software. I started to get concerned due to the fact that each folder has a "serial.txt" document in it. I haven't googled the serials but I found a backup program installation folder and googled the serial number in that, it came up listed in a few Chinese Warez sites.

I'm not saying piracy is an amazingly bad thing *wink*, but for a school to do it, it's quite bad.

I have seen websites that you can report such activities and get rewards for informing them - do you think I should give it a shot?

Regards.

I would make sure dammed sure before you start making acusations like that cos it could lead your college to a lot of trouble if it is true
Just cos serials appeared on chineese warz sites dosent mean your college got them from their
And usualy installation stuff is kept on servers to
Tbh even if it where true i wouldnt bother cos it aint you that gets the blame if it comes out , and you wouldnt wanna jeapardise your college cos its your education

I may just contact the company that provides the backup program and ask them if the serial number is legit. I would love to see my school go down for such a thing - I would make sure it would be anonymous on my side.

Hmm... but that could make your education fall down by the way side, because they don't have enough money to make do.
Personally, I wouldn't bother. If your just after a reward, I think its pretty greedy.

Hmm... but that could make your education fall down by the way side, because they don't have enough money to make do.
Personally, I wouldn't bother. If your just after a reward, I think its pretty greedy.

Yeah dont make your education suffer for some $1000 reward it aint worth it
Education is something you cannot put a price on

i'm sorry but if you are serious about this you are a complete jackass, who cares, i bet you have pirated software on your pc, who doesnt.

Most likely, the school itself doesn't know.
They ask IT Technicians to do that kind of thing. Its them your putting on the line, and not your school.

if you turned them in your whole school would be under controversy and no would want to hire someone with a degree from them. BUT the money you would get as a reward would probably pay your way through any college no problem.

also if you signed any TOS from the college read through see if they can legally take action against you if you tattle ;) thats how some warez sites get around there countries weak copyright laws

EDIT:
also if there is just 1 legit copy of any MS product that all computers access than thats illegal aswell, because for every end user there MUST be a unique key code unless there using like office 2000 or something really old.

Back
Top Bottom