Buying a new Hard Drive...

Shantei

In Runtime
Right, this is the first time I'll ever be handling a hard drive, installing it and doing whatever with it and I'm relying on everyone here to give a helping hand or some tutorial on what needs to be done in order for me to have a successful installation without any problems at at all :D

Here's my relative specs:

PSU: Tagan 480 Watt..
Motherboard: http://techreport.com/articles.x/10572/1

Here's the desired HD:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-095-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=167

...my main concern atm is is an 480W PSU enough to handle two HDs? I think I recall my brother having a problem with his PSU and two HDs .. his comp wouldn't start or something and he reasoned it to be not enough power for HDs, whether it's true or not, I don't know.

Also, yeah, a quickie on formatting or something, and shiz like that.

Thanks v. much in advance.

480W is enough to handle two HD's don't worry, My old dell had a 250W PSU and i had 2 HD's. and if ur going to install an OS on it, during the installation it will format it for u. so all you have to do is put ir in and install an OS. If it is a secondary HD i think all u have to do is plug and play!!

480W is enough to handle two HD's don't worry, My old dell had a 250W PSU and i had 2 HD's. and if ur going to install an OS on it, during the installation it will format it for u. so all you have to do is put ir in and install an OS. If it is a secondary HD i think all u have to do is plug and play!!

Excellent, nicely reassuring.

Not that I doubt you at all, but can I get some more clarification on this please by someone? :D

And yes, I intend to install the OS so it's good to know formatting worries are over.

Also, I should have the right connections and shit for it too right?

Thanks!

Formatting a hard drive use to be complicated, but not anymore. Now, everyone just pops their Windows DVD into the DVD RW drive and everything is automated. It will prompt you if you like to make other partitions, format, etc. Really easy and user friendly.

You'll have no problems with the power supply hooked up with your two hard drives. You can even add more if you wish and add a super duper top of the line video card if you still wish to do so. You have plenty of power.

Firstly may i point out you can get this drive cheaper from elsewhere : http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/115410/rb/0 but that is up to you
Even tho the price is only a few pence the one i shown has free shipping so in total with shipping works out cheaper , Just something ot think about maybe
I will be the third to say that power aint gonna be a problem at all ,The rapor will use about 10w max so that aint a problem , that leaves 470 for everything else

As for formatting as others have said windows will ask you about that during set up

As for the connections yeah you should be fine , i dunno if you have a sata cable already , if so dont need to worry but if you dont you can get one for a few pounds , just ask if you want a link
And does your power supply have sata power cables , if not you will need to buy a converter for that as well although that is only a few pounds again

HDD's take up 5-10 watts a peice, ive had 4 drives, radeon 9250, asus mobo prefab, 1.2ghz t-bird on a 135 watt psu before :D

Oh, and one more thing :D

What do I do with my other HD? Like, it has the OS on it, I'd have to get rid of it right? How would I go safely about this? Would this take some reformatting?

Thanks.

if you hook up the old hdd to your pc as slave then boot up to the new one you can just format it from within vista/xp. doesnt take long. then you can use it to put random crap on

Back
Top Bottom