I Need Help Asap! Ram!

NeciFiX

In Runtime
GAH!!!!!!!

COMP:

DELL DIMENSION 4600I

Somehow I knew this would happen! So I got my 1 GB of RAM I've been asking questions about and finally got it, my 512's are in separate slots and so I pair them together and so bank 1 is full, I go to bank 2 and put in my 1 GB, it fits snugly, I go to turn on my PC and NOTHING! All that happens is the little green light flashes on and off yellow. So, I go back in and I take the 1GB out, at this point frustrated. I left the 2 512's paired together, the PC turned on, or apparently so, the light was green, but, the monitor refused to do so. I put the 512 in the separate bank like nothing ever happened and it booted up.

When I booted up I got this "System Configuration Utilities" crap and I didn't really read it, it happens whenever I start up, I did scan it once before Xing it, it said that Windows or something denied a change in my PC or something along these lines. Is this the problem? EVEN IF the 1GB was bad, it still refused to turn on even with the 2 512's, they had to return completely to their original spots before turning on. Do I need 2 512's instead of this 1 gig? Is there no problem with the RAM but my damn system not letting me change it, this "System Configuration Utility"?

Please help! I am in DIRE need of assistance!

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

ummm u have to check if the new ram is supported by ur mobo. u should really ghead over to crucial.com and scan u comp.

GAH!!!!!!!

COMP:

DELL DIMENSION 4600I

Somehow I knew this would happen! So I got my 1 GB of RAM I've been asking questions about and finally got it, my 512's are in separate slots and so I pair them together and so bank 1 is full, I go to bank 2 and put in my 1 GB, it fits snugly, I go to turn on my PC and NOTHING! All that happens is the little green light flashes on and off yellow. So, I go back in and I take the 1GB out, at this point frustrated. I left the 2 512's paired together, the PC turned on, or apparently so, the light was green, but, the monitor refused to do so. I put the 512 in the separate bank like nothing ever happened and it booted up.

When I booted up I got this "System Configuration Utilities" crap and I didn't really read it, it happens whenever I start up, I did scan it once before Xing it, it said that Windows or something denied a change in my PC or something along these lines. Is this the problem? EVEN IF the 1GB was bad, it still refused to turn on even with the 2 512's, they had to return completely to their original spots before turning on. Do I need 2 512's instead of this 1 gig? Is there no problem with the RAM but my damn system not letting me change it, this "System Configuration Utility"?

Thanks!

~NeciFiX
Try the 1GB stick in slot1 and the 2x 512 in slots 2&4.

When I booted up I got this "System Configuration Utilities" crap and I didn't really read it, it happens whenever I start up
That's your problem right there. Try reading it.

System Configuration Utility popup comes from running msconfig, just check the box option that says "do not run at startup" next time you reboot and the popup will cease.

well i wanna no did u solve it cuz it could b that the ram is not compatible with it
thats my strongest guess

OK This is a oldish topic but I informed the eBay Seller it wasn't compatible with my other RAM. I don't know if I had bad karma or something but I then randomly decided to try again, the 512's in slots 1 and 2 and the 1 gig in the slot 3... IT WORKED!????????! My DXDiag confirms I have 2048 MB of RAM... everything is a bit faster. I have a addon for Windows XP that is called the Thoosje sidebar, it acts as a Windows XP substitute for Vista's gadgets, it used to say I used 80-90% of my 1GB with it on, now it says only 40%. So why didn't it work before? Did my bad karma ware off?

GAH!!!!!!!

COMP:

DELL DIMENSION 4600I

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

go here and find your pc
http://support.dell.com/support/top...mily?c=us&l=en&product_family=Dimension&s=gen
then look for the RAM upgrades and make sure that you have the right stuff
hope this helps

I had that with my computer once, I brought the RAM off eBay.

I took it to my local computer shop becuase I thought it was faulty as nothing happened on my PC, however it just made there computer beep.

It turns out that I was wrong and the memory was the wrong type, replaced it for the right type and it works perfectly as it is for writing this message. The problem was, My computer only supports low density ram, where i didn't read this anywhere, I had ordered high density ram.

Hope this helps. :D

Read My Last Post Which Was Yesterday! It Tells You A Story Of What Recently Happened. Typing In Caps Is Fun.

Back
Top Bottom