System Stability...not very stable huh? (Fixed I think :D)

Its definietly there in the settings. It allowed me to go back to the old look.

Where is it? Can you show me a screen dump because I'm buggered if I can find it. I've looked all through the control panel for the option to revert to the old control panel, nada, also there is no "Detect optimal frequency" in the "Adjust GPU settings"

You are using the 162.18 driver yes?

EDIT: Another beta driver, hot on the heels of the 163.44 comes the 163.71

NVIDIA Beta drivers

EDIT #2: here you go Mattie, I just raised the bar a little for you ;)

3DMark06 - 12,789

CPU@3.2GHz, GPU@ 680/950MHz, driver 163.71 beta

Orb compare URL

EDIT #3: Pic with oc details

It might have been that hack I downloaded, that forced older settings to become avaialble... At the time, I didn't think it did anything.
Its a few registry files that just dump themselves in there.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74587&page=3

Your graphics card runs cooler than mine, even when overclocked. Mine is running at 54 degrees C at the moment, but when running games, seems to just push 70 degrees C, with the fan on 70% and 100% gaming, and my CPU is 36,35,36,33 degrees C.

Monday, I'm going to have a play with overclocking the CPU.

I'm worried about my RAM, and my PSU (550watt), but maybe I'll have some headroom, I don't know really.

But compared with everyone else running a 640mb 8800GTS, I can't seem to overclock half as much. I must have a bad card for overclocking, because the same card can be overclocked higher with OC versions of the same EVGA make. Shame :( lol. Still... I guess I can't complain with around 10fps difference in MOH Airbourne.

I'm thinking of modding this to it though:
http://www.sharkacomputers.com/thermaltakend5.html

Or something like it, but I've never ever took the default cooling from a card before, so would be a bit scared doing it.

It might have been that hack I downloaded, that forced older settings to become avaialble... At the time, I didn't think it did anything.
Its a few registry files that just dump themselves in there.
I found it eventually, the Sedona Reg Hack, got the old panel back, I'm happy about that :D

EDIT: Unfortunately none of the overclocking works i.e. "Detect optimal frequencies" etc with the 163.71 driver, I'll try the 162.18 and see if it works with those.

I'm thinking of modding this to it though:
http://www.sharkacomputers.com/thermaltakend5.html

Or something like it, but I've never ever took the default cooling from a card before, so would be a bit scared doing it.
Just remember that putting after market cooling on it will void warranty if discovered so be very careful removing the stock cooling, take photos of each step 'just in case" you have to replace it in case of RMA

My card was running cooler today as the ambient air temp was quite low (cold wind) so that would not really be comparable with your current temps I'd say, it was around 22°C when I did that oc and 3DMark06 run.

Nice. Ya your overall cpu scores are going to bump you up ahead of mine even though I can get clocked higher than you. I may have been able to run a 3dMark06 it may have crashed in the cpu tests at 3.71Ghz. I dunno i'm stuck working this weekend but i'll start doing small steps and see if I can make it stable. I know I can get 3.6 for sure though. Nice score!

Would the 550 watt CPU I have limit my overclocking do you think, with my specs? One thing I don't want to run into is power problems, causing limitations...

Also, have you tried overclocking with ATI Tool to see if you can get as far? Or if you have to de-clock it to stop it seeing errors?
I'd be interested to see what happens to tell the truth.
Because, it may be your pushing your card too far, or it may mean, I'm not pushing my card as much as I could.

I have to build another PC now :p My brother wants a high spec gaming PC too, so, I'm going to look for parts tonight.

your PSU probably wont interfere with your OCing, heat will be more of a factor. since heat\power consumption are directly related i doubt you would be able to pull out another 50 watts from your cpu that would cause the system to be underpowered, becuase heat would be too much of an issue even with your cooler.

Would the 550 watt CPU I have limit my overclocking do you think, with my specs? One thing I don't want to run into is power problems, causing limitations...

Also, have you tried overclocking with ATI Tool to see if you can get as far? Or if you have to de-clock it to stop it seeing errors?
I'd be interested to see what happens to tell the truth.
Because, it may be your pushing your card too far, or it may mean, I'm not pushing my card as much as I could.

I have to build another PC now :p My brother wants a high spec gaming PC too, so, I'm going to look for parts tonight.
If it is me you're asking then I think you should be OK with the psu as long as it is solid, how many amps on the 12v rail(s)? The only reason I went 850W was the modular cabling and in case I needed more power for the 45nm chips & G90 video cards when they come out.

I've never tried ATiTool, if I get the chance i may give it a run this weekend. As to pushing my card too far i doubt that is the case, I've not seen an artifact yet at those clocks, I do believe you're getting held back by ATiTool though.

Cruise over to the Guru3D forum and see what the latest thread from Ray Adams is saying, last one I saw he was calling for beta testers for a new version, it may be related to the reduced oc clocks you're getting.

Good luck with the brothers build.

Its this PSU:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14998)Antec-Truepower-Trio-550W-PSU-TP3550-GB-PSU.aspx

Hmm.. I've updated to the BETA drivers, and I haven't tried overclocking more yet.

I'll definietly overclock CPU, or try too, but, I'm also worried about my RAM. I had to up it to 2.0v to become stable. At higher rates, it'll need even more, and the max it can get is 2.3v.

I'll check that out :)

(Thinking of getting a SLI Asus board for my bro. Something maybe I should have gone for...ah well. He may be able to have 2x 640mb 8800's if his budget allows too, or it may be better getting 1 GTX.)

:eek: I don't know why... but the new BETA Nvidia drivers are allowing me to get my core to 660, and I haven't tried any higher yet!
Okay...well... I get artifacting past 62 degrees C, so maybe I'm limited by heat, but ATI Tool doesn't notice it, but theres definiete pixel dots appearing that shouldn't be there. Only one or two every minute or so though.

Is there a way of overclocking the shader clocks? Or is that automatic with the core and memory?

Ah, it wont go past 664 on the core I don't think. Loads of artifacting, and I mean loads of yellow dots at 665. But still ATI Tool goes "hmm...nothing wrong here'. Dangerous...
Still... 44 more than before... though actually never mind. As soon as the GPU hits 70 degrees C, all hell breaks loose :(

So I can now get it to 660 core (20 more), and 1064 mem still.

Back
Top Bottom