Cloning a hdd

k0409964

In Runtime
Hi, i am just about to re-install windows on my dads comp, and he has a 500gig external hdd, he wants to clone his current internal hdd and put it all on the external so he does not lose anything!!

does anybody have any recommendations of programs to use??

Copy and Paste :)
Lol
Is it that he wishes to keep all his documents, or he wants to keep the whole OS installation itself?

Hmm... he just wants to back up data? Not Windows and programs? (Programs are almost impossible to back up if they are in the registry), unless of course you want to copy Windows as well, in which case, you can use a program like Norton Ghost, which will create an image of the entire drive.

If you to backup EVERYTHING, I recommend using norton ghost. You can use 8.3 from a dos environment to simply clone a HD. Never cloned over to a USB drive however, but i'm pretty sure it supports it.

Yeah I also would recommend norton ghost for that.

I usually back up all my programs I can get away with, and yes that does mean I make .reg files for them lol

Norton ghost gets my vote every time, you could also use Acronis True Image, with ghost you have the option to put it onto a disc as well, a must for all computer users.

I prefer acronis true image, norton ghost has screwed up to many images for me in the past.

Thanks..

cool, i dont think he particlarly want to keep any programs i think it is more that he is lazy and he just cant be bothered to check he has everything.

i personally think he should just copy what he wants, but hey never mind!

is it difficult to do, or pretty stright forward?

Thanks..

cool, i dont think he particlarly want to keep any programs i think it is more that he is lazy and he just cant be bothered to check he has everything.

i personally think he should just copy what he wants, but hey never mind!

is it difficult to do, or pretty stright forward?

Are you asking is it easy to clone the HDD or to just copy certain programs?
To clone the HDD is simple,(with ghost) Install ghost and select the backup image option then follow the onscreen instructions. otherwise just burn the programs onto a disc providing you have the exe.file.

just copy the hdd, i have the setup files for all the programs i need. good it sounded simple, but often these things sound easy and then turn out to be a pain in the ass!!

Back
Top Bottom