System Stability...not very stable huh? (Fixed I think :D)

:) Kewl

Well, I think I've found both stable. I'm playing about, but I think I have it:

640mhz Core
1040mhz Memory

I tried increasing the core by 3mhz, and it started artifacting straight away, yet at 640mhz it can go for 10 minutes and more, so thats sorted.

So, I've reached the same core I could before. Its just the memory thats allowed me to go higher.

:) Kewl

Well, I think I've found both stable. I'm playing about, but I think I have it:

640mhz Core
1040mhz Memory

I tried increasing the core by 3mhz, and it started artifacting straight away, yet at 640mhz it can go for 10 minutes and more, so thats sorted.

So, I've reached the same core I could before. Its just the memory thats allowed me to go higher.
That's just plain weird, the core should go higher than that. Hell, I got mine to 680MHz no problems at all. I wonder if it is an ATiTool thing?

Have you tried overclocking via the NVIDIA control panel? (you'll need nTune to unlock the driver in the control panel)

My next mission is to try the 163.44 & 163.69 Beta drivers.

My Scythe Kama cooler is out of stock until early Oct (just got off the phone from the supplier) so I'm not too happy right now :(

Well, I've found stable clocks. I was checking the 3D image for artifacts and if I go any higher than 640mhz, I get artifacts.
If I go any higher than 1064mhz on the memory, I get artifacts.
So I think I've found the happy medium.

So its 640mhz Core and 1064mhz Memory.

What have you got your memory at to get your Core so high? Not that it'd help actually, because even at default memory speeds, it couldn't go past 659mhz without getting artifacts.

I have Ntune yes, but, I don't like overclocking by pulling sliders and just hoping for the best :p

My memory was at 950MHz during that oc, with NVIDIA control panel there is a "Test" button, it won't show artifacts but it will let you know if the card will run at those settings, if it fails at the new clocks just back it off a tad and try again.

At 680/950 I ran 3DMark06 without an artifact whatsoever.

If it shows on that cube though on ATI Tool, surely it'd show on a game? Even if not noticable? If it does, doesn't that mean it could damage the card?

Just noticed, my 8800GTS has a slight noise to it, when 3D stuff is moving around now.

I looked on the net, and for 8800 series cards, its actually a normal occurance apparently, where a sound can be heard from the core. Its only slight, but it sounds like the fan is picking up speed slightly and dropping off again. Its only heard when somethings moving about. I.e when that cube makes a full rotation in ATITool.

Something about it here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=528061

Anyhow, I'm happy with that overclock I think. Anymore and I definietly get artifacts.

Why won't the 2D/Simple 3D go back to the standard memory clocks though, yet the cores will?...

Lets just hope I have better luck with the CPU!

I only hav a 550 watt PSU though, which may hamper me?

Woah, that's weirder still, I've never heard any of my cards squeal and my 6800U always runs right on the upper limits of it's oc.

Artifacts (or the cause of) can damage the card in one of two ways, overheating or overclocking, you can "burn out" the memory.

I've never used ATiTool as I usually oc incrementally with the NVIDIA control panel or Rivatuner.

I may give it a try out of curiosity.

I remember Unwinder (Rivatuner owner) giving Ray Adams (ATiTool owner) a bit of a serve over at Guru3D a while back over some "borrowed" code, lol.

Well, I hope I'm not pushing it too far. I mean, its at 70 degrees C at load, so I can't be really.
Haha, watch yours get better now :|

Updated 3D Mark 06 with the new memory setting:

10799 3D Marks

Updated 3D Mark 06 with the new memory setting:

10799 3D Marks
70°C is fine

What driver?

Do you kill all background processes? I use EndItAll to kill mine before running benchmarks.

Nice score but still 1000 short ;)

CPU overclocked during that run?

Only default motherboard overclocks, which is like not much at all.

272mhz vs 266mhz basically = 2448Mhz

Not running Beta drivers, but I'm running the latest that aren't beta :p

Nope, still have backgrounds running, like anti-virus and firewall, because while playing a game, I'd have those up anyway.

NVIDIA OVERCLOCK:

Well... the Nvidia one doesn't seem to want to stop at a core of 640mhz, but, ATI Tool does. It passes.
But, for real world use, I think the ATI Tool is more stable. It must be.
How does the Nvidia one test?

Its letting me reach 700mhz on Core and 1100mhz on Memory (Max its allowed I think), and its still letting it pass...

Did you test games every time it passed or something? Because I have a feeling I know what would happen if I'd have pressed Apply then.
BOOM! Haha

Back
Top Bottom