System Stability...not very stable huh? (Fixed I think :D)

Looking at your VID (as reported by CoreTemp) at 1.2875 you appear to have a good overclocking chip there. On another forum I visit it has been postulated that the higher the VID the better the overclocking. My VID is 1.25 and I seem to hit a wall at around 3.2GHz so it will be interesting to see how far you can push yours.

Good to see you running fine now with good temps and stability, what more could you ask for.

:D

You can have rep, you can :)

AUTO MOTHERBOARD CLOCK:

I've turned on the default overclocking of the motherboard, so the CPU's now running at 272mhz with a 1.24v core, making it run at 2448mhz, over the 2394 it was running at previously.
I'll try overclocking properly sometime next week I think.

VID CARD OVERCLOCK:

I have overclocked the video card though today, and I don't know wheather its a good overclock (Ive checked and its not that high), but I'm getting around 9fps more than I did previously, playing a demo of MOH: Airbourne on full settings:p
On this one bit, FPS dropped to 45fps. With the overclock, it doesn't drop below 54fps on that bit.

Used ATI Tool to do it, and just set it to auto on each one, but then set a safe limit, so:

The core was 513mhz, and I've increased it to 640mhz.
Memory was at 792mhz, and its now at 960mhz.

I heard you don't get much performance from overclocking the memory, so I left it at that.
Tried the core at 650 but it artifacted once every so often, and I've tried the memory at over 1000, but it seemed to want to run everyday apps at this memory setting, so just dropped it to be safe.

Video card when running games was around 63 degrees C from 53 degrees C idle, and its now around 56 degrees C idle, and 69 degrees C in games.

Is that alright? Or is that too hot do you think?
I hope thats a good overclock anyways :)

A True Folder, at 3.2ghz on your processor, how does does it get stressed? What voltage did you end up with?
I see your using the same cooler, so we should hopefully get the same type of results, minus memory differences

3D MARK 06:

Both the overclocks have made a big difference in 3D Mark:

Original:

3DMark Score 9748 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 3998 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 3828 Marks
CPU Score 3822 Marks

Overclocked:

3DMark Score 10648 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 4280 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4370 Marks
CPU Score 3923 Marks

That video card oc is interesting, I got mine to 680/950 (stock cooler, Zalman VF1000 yet to come) which gave me 11,751 in 3DMark06 (compare link) with the 162.18 driver.

What driver are you running?

That oc is good, not "top end" more "mid range" which will give good results without unduly stressing the card and those temps seem to be OK, these 8800's do run on the warm side, 100°C is the temperature alarm threshold so you're well below that. If you want to use your oc for games only you'll have to set up an overclock profile in the NVIDIA drivers iirc (I don't bother with it myself)

MoH:A FTW, I've just taken out the big AA tower in the campaign ;)

What do you mean by
.... at 3.2ghz on your processor, how does does it get stressed?
It just won't boot, comes back with "OC unsuccessful, press any key to enter setup" I have to admit I didn't dick around much after that, 3.0GHz is a 25% oc and I was happy with that for every day use, I'm also having a few problems with case cooling at present (still adding/ rearranging fans in an effort to drop temps) as my m/board seems to get awfully warm (up around 32-34°C) which I don't like so until I get that sorted the cpu oc is on the back burner.

My new Scythe Kama 5¼" bay cooler is due to arrive today so I'll be delving inside the box again (probably reseat the 9700 with MX-2 TIM as well while I'm in there)

You can have rep, you can :)

AUTO MOTHERBOARD CLOCK:

I've turned on the default overclocking of the motherboard, so the CPU's now running at 272mhz with a 1.24v core, making it run at 2448mhz, over the 2394 it was running at previously.
I'll try overclocking properly sometime next week I think.

VID CARD OVERCLOCK:

I have overclocked the video card though today, and I don't know wheather its a good overclock (Ive checked and its not that high), but I'm getting around 9fps more than I did previously, playing a demo of MOH: Airbourne on full settings:p
On this one bit, FPS dropped to 45fps. With the overclock, it doesn't drop below 54fps on that bit.

Used ATI Tool to do it, and just set it to auto on each one, but then set a safe limit, so:

The core was 513mhz, and I've increased it to 640mhz.
Memory was at 792mhz, and its now at 960mhz.

I heard you don't get much performance from overclocking the memory, so I left it at that.
Tried the core at 650 but it artifacted once every so often, and I've tried the memory at over 1000, but it seemed to want to run everyday apps at this memory setting, so just dropped it to be safe.

Video card when running games was around 63 degrees C from 53 degrees C idle, and its now around 56 degrees C idle, and 69 degrees C in games.

Is that alright? Or is that too hot do you think?
I hope thats a good overclock anyways :)

A True Folder, at 3.2ghz on your processor, how does does it get stressed? What voltage did you end up with?
I see your using the same cooler, so we should hopefully get the same type of results, minus memory differences

3D MARK 06:

Both the overclocks have made a big difference in 3D Mark:

Original:

3DMark Score 9748 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 3998 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 3828 Marks
CPU Score 3822 Marks

Overclocked:

3DMark Score 10648 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 4280 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4370 Marks
CPU Score 3923 Marks

Thats pretty decent but your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU. Here are my latest 3dmark06 scores although these are vista scores can't find a saved pic of XP scores. Give me a few hours to download the latest driver for XP then I'll do a new 3dmark and post the results. But anyways heres mine for vista.

3DMark Score 11177 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 5020 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4876 Marks
CPU Score 2891 Marks (think thats around 3100 in XP @3.525ghz)

Wow... :p
You really think?

I'm running ATI Tool again, and its trying to find a stable memory clock. At the moment its around 1076mhz.
Then I'll reset that, and try and find a stable core, and then see what happens.

I didn't reset the mem or core before testing the other previously, but I'm scared of putting them both on after, that I got, and it'll suddenly mess up and crash, haha.

I'll definietly try and overclock my CPU. It'll be the RAM, that'll be my bottle neck. My Motherboards supposedly rather good at overclocking.

If its the RAM, I could always sell and start over with that.

....... snip ......
You edited while I was writing lol

That's pretty good 3DMark06 but get your cpu up around the 3.0GHz mark and you'll pick up some extra points to get you closer to my 11,751

When you're ocing your cpu are you running your ram 1:1 with the FSB or using a divider?

I'm not sure what it is running on the motherboard overclock, but I know at default, it was running at 1:1:50 to the CPU.

To tell the truth, when it comes to overclocking, I'm limited by my knowledge with the RAM factor.

3D CARD OVERCLOCKING:

Found the stable memory setting to be 1065mhz.
Its now finding a stable Core while the memory is set back to default.
Its at 662mhz at the moment :)

But...if I get a higher core than I could before, does it really matter if I increase the memory? Or wouldn't I get as good results without doing that also?

Found an error, its dropped it to around 659 now :p

Ah okay, but does the memory really do that much, compared with the Core?

Its found a stable core of 659mhz, and it found a stable memory of 1065mhz.

I'm going to input that in now together. I have a feeling it'll just mess up and crash it, but we'll see...

If I get the GPU to 620mhz, and memory to 1000mhz, it'll be the same in clocks, as a Superclocked 8800GTX :p

Its probally going to crash. But who knows it may not lol. GL like I said though you need to overclock the cpu. As your overclocking the cpu look at the graphics card scores. When they stop going up you know your bottlenecks gone. I'm at 14.6meg of 46.7 on 162.18 drivers. 3 hours and i'll have a updated score up lol. I'm thinking i'm around 11,700 in XP.

Back
Top Bottom