8800 not running right

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
Hey CF, I'm not sure whats up here so I'm asking for your help. I got my 8800 yesterday and Installed it and what not. I installed the drivers that came with the cd. I ran a stress test through counter strike and got 10FPS!!! WTF?!

So I looked at the "Ntune" monitor and it said my memory clock on my 8800 was 436MHz!!! That pissed me off to no end, but I hope it was just a misreading.

So today I updated the drivers to the latest version and now it says it is running at 837MHz. I ran CS stress test and got 59FPS. That is much better but I got that with my 6800GS so something is still wrong. Any ideas or suggestions?

ntunemonitor.jpg

Take off Ntune then try it again. That program caused me nothing but problems.

Ya Ntune is a recipe for problems. Your 8800 should have 2d and 3d settings. It will use 2d settings until you use a 3d app unless you set the 2d settings to lock with 3d settings. Run a game and check the settings again. The core and memory should jump to 3d speeds.

Those speeds in the pic look like normal factory overclocked cards. 576 core speed and 837mhz memory or 1674mhz cause you double the memory.

I also noticed this. I can't feel any air moving at the fan vent on the card in the back of the computer. Doesn't the fan push a fair amount of air out of the expansion slot vent?

(I know this is a double post but it is on a bit of a different matter)

well I tried downloading 2.04 (came out a couple of days ago) but every time i accept the ULA it goes back to the homepage. :(

EDIT: Ok i downloaded it.

Another problem I am having which may be causing this is for some reason simple things like IE and all are taking up 46+% of processing power. This started happening a week or 2 ago. That and when the processor is under a load the sound gets crackly. Simple programs causing 46+% power is rediculous and sometimes when I type the typing slows down it is so bad. This might be adding to the low FPS rate. *Shrugs*

EDIT2: ok i got rivatuner 2.04 on and it also says the memory clock speed is 837MHz. It says the fan is running at 15xx RPM so I take it the fan is fine. But why is the memory clock so low :(

UPDATE: I think my card is running fine now. I reinstalled XP and found the problem still was there, not as bad but still there. So I tried putting my old sticks of RAM back in and i got 92FPS on CS:S and my other games run pretty well. I know 92FPS is low but I figure that since I've got a P4 and 1GB of memory that is probably holding it back.

thoughts?

wait your running a p4 with 1 g ram?
your bodelnecking necking your system the 1g fine but the p4 is going to have a lot of trouble keeping up with that even if its 3ghz
if you have a 755 slot get a pd or core 2 duo

I also noticed this. I can't feel any air moving at the fan vent on the card in the back of the computer. Doesn't the fan push a fair amount of air out of the expansion slot vent?

(I know this is a double post but it is on a bit of a different matter)
You did remove the thin plastic wrap from the picture face of the card didn't you? to allow air into the fans. You should definitely feel warm air exhausting out of those vents.

Which driver are you running? 162.18 or the beta releases 163.44 or 163.77?

In your driver do you have it set for IQ or performance?

What temp is your card running at?

Back
Top Bottom