No experience in building computers

Thrasher

Daemon Poster
First time building a computer and I need some help selecting parts

Hey I'm really thinking of buying the parts listed in this thread to build the 1st computer valued at around $600 but I have no experience building computers. It seems daunting that after spending so much time piecing it together, there's no guarantee that it will work. The machine I'm using at the moment is very average and the prices of some of the newly assembled computers are basically twice the price of the above mentioned computers and the specifications are much less.

My dad has some electrical knowledge but he's pretty reluctant about supporting me in spending that amount of money on something I pretty much have no idea about. Other than the manuals for each separate part, are there any guides on the net that can guide us through building a system for the first time? any advice? Would it be worth it finding a professional to build it for us? and would you do you think that'd roughly cost me?

I reckon, you should learn and find out for yourself :)
Otherwise, the next build, you'll do the same, etc.

I was daunted too on my first build, but I was determined, and thats what counts!

I read the manuals while building from front to back when building for the first time. It helps, as you know exactly where to put each part.

Honestly, its an experience you won't forget when you hear the computer powering up for the first time, on its own 2 feet as it were.

If there are problems, these are workable :)

As long as you apply common sense it is pretty impossible to wreck anything , if something dosent fit it dosent go there , and tbh looking you can sorta guess where everything goes , if you have problems you can always ask here
And yeah building your first one can be dauning but after that you wont go back , i am never going back to buying prebuilt for my own use
there are far more advantes than just price , such as you are your own customer support, you know what is in there and such and such . You also get much better custamisability for your needs

just read-up real good on what to do, and go slowly. if you have any questions during the process, just take a time out and ask us on here what to do, we will help you along.

Another suggestion is exactly the way I learned. When I was younger I used to have some old dead computers lying around. I just opened them up and took out all the parts and put them back together. Then I had 2 computers that were around the same speed maybe 233Mhz difference. Well one of them we never used so I took all the parts out both computers and put all the best parts into one of them. Well needless to say I turned my 256MB RAM with 20Gb HD 1Ghz Processor into 512MB RAM 60GB HD and 1Ghz Processor. That is my story and I just did it without learning anything previous. Afterwards I learned how to upgrade my computer myself and then I built my first computer with a few pointers from this very forum. Like the hardest part I found was mounting the motherboard because it can't be mounted directly onto the case it has to have those spacers. Also you have to buy the right componants which I am sure you already learned before attempting to build your computer(correct RAM type, Correct Socket for processor, Correct Vid Card ie.PCI-E not AGP or PCI, etc.) But yeah after the mobo it is a breeze and common sense.

Forgot to add that I read my motherboard manual when I did my first build and the mounting is explained in detail there. Everything else is either common sense or you could refer to the mobo manual again and it explains how to install everything. Honestly I think you should just buy your system and do it because after that you will always know how to take care of your computer and upgrade it. Plus you will always have the knowledge of knowing exactly what is in your computer.

Maximum PC: Guide to Building A Dream PC. It's an excellent reference geared towards the beginner. This book and general common sense will make the build a snap. ;)

Its easy!!! If you get stuck, dont do stuff your unsure about, just ask us lot!

Hey guys sorry for the late reply - but thanks for all the responses! I'll buy the PC book cwharms suggested and I read the guide posted by MattieDaShark83 which was very helpful and instantly bookmarked!

The only change to that thread's suggestion is I like the 'Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower' better than the 'Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer'. With 4 fans and ATX compatibility, it would be fine with the ' BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard' wouldn't it?

It's actually very easy to build. Just plug and play pretty much. Follow the motherboard manual and the instructions that comes with the part. Each part comes with these easy to setup manuals. It's like PC building for dummies.

I came up with a list for budget builders. I'm also using this setup for people I know that need an affordable PC:

Spire BlackFin SP-7090B Black Metal SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: SP-7090B
Item #: N82E16811220021

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

In Stock
$33.99 $33.99

Update APEVIA CF12S 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Model #: CF12S
Item #: N82E16811998127

In Stock
$4.99 $4.99

Update Thermaltake TT-8025A-2B 80mm Case Fan - Retail
Model #: TT-8025A-2B
Item #: N82E16811999107

In Stock
$4.99 $4.99

Update GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-M61P-S3
Item #: N82E16813128034

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
$79.99 $79.99

Update Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: W0100RU
Item #: N82E16817153052

In Stock
Mail-in Rebate
$69.99 -$10.00 Instant $59.99

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX - Retail
Model #: ADO4000DDBOX
Item #: N82E16819103774

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock
$66.99 $66.99

Update G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
Model #: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231098

Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

In Stock
$109.99 -$40.00 Instant $69.99

Update Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD800JD
Item #: N82E16822135106

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
$42.99 $42.99

Update LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model GSA-H54NK - OEM
Model #: GSA-H54NK
Item #: N82E16827136119

In Stock
$26.99 $26.99

Update Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
Model #: 66I-00715
Item #: N82E16832116202

This system is pretty good and it's under $600 for a pure budget PC. Parts are all very good if you ask me. It used integrated video, but for people on a budget, it's obvious they're not looking for hard core gaming rigs.

Back
Top Bottom