Ocing a q6600

MX2 states "non-curing" so I guess it's good to go right from the start, AS5 has always had the ~200 hour cure time afaik so I doubt many of the reviews would be fully cured. The one I saw was a Zalman review so I guess they would have let the AS5 cure, well you'd think they would anyway but that's no guarantee.

Just another opinion, how about changing your TIM, for liquid metal? much more efficient.

Could be the difference for a few degrees.

I got OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound on mine.
Seems to have worked a treat.

As for TAT, it appears it doesn't like Abit motherboards, as a lot of people seem to get that error.

I got OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound on mine.
Seems to have worked a treat.

As for TAT, it appears it doesn't like Abit motherboards, as a lot of people seem to get that error.
Most 99.9% silver content TIM's are the same, the difference comes with changing the medium, remember the old silicon based white TIM? Terrible stuff until AS came on the market.

Still strange about TAT but if others are getting the error too I guess it must be board specific.

where do you get one with 2 fans? do you install the second one manually?

No, look at my previous post. X-bit labs got their's up to 3.6 on air. They used a Scythe Infinity with 2 120mm fans:
scythe-s.jpg

Yeah, I'm guessing you'd have to buy a second one.
5 quid for more overclocking room? Doesn't sound bad to me!

I will just get the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Aluminum Heatsink. That has higher ratings than even tuniq tower and the scythe with dual fans.

Yeah, I've looked at a few reviews. Get 2 120mm quiet fans, and you should notice a dramatic inprovement over even the Tuniq...
My 9700 is performing well, but I haven't tried overclocking yet. We'll see.

I'm looking at these way over the top heatsink/fan combos and boy, they are HUGE. For those that have these huge combo, are they heavy? I've always used stock before and they are fine, but the bigger ones are like "I'm afraid it will pull my entire CPU off the motherboard, lol".

I wouldn't worry. The larger ones need a plate fitting at the back of the motherboard, which give more support, so this won't happen :p

Back
Top Bottom